title says it all

Advertisement
  2. Rooferkev

Rooferkev Well-Known Member

Anything by Bernard Cornwell
  3. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Well-Known Member

The Difference Engine By William Gibson and Bruce Stirling

In a related vein (that is, cyberpunk authors), there is Neil Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, and his Baroque Cycle books, Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World are also good reads, though of course it would take longer to read a trilogy than a standalone.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

the best historical book i ever read is Pillars of the Earth by ken follet.

it is one of the best books ken follet ever wrote in my opinion. it is such an epic and it made me fall in love with gothic cathedrals and the architecture behind it. it is very well written and the characters are fantastic.....check it out.
  5. huh

huh Well-Known Member

one of my favorites..Emma
    by Jane Austen
  6. ramar35

ramar35 Member

Colleen McCullough's Master of Rome series (7 books) is really great historical fiction and my absolute favorite. Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series is pretty good too. Below is a list of authors you can check out:
    Alex Haley
    Alison Weir
    Bernard Cornwell
    Boris Pasternak
    C J Sansom
    Chris Bradford
    Christian Cameron
    Colleen McCullough
    Conn Iggulden
    Dorothy Dunnett
    Eiji Yoshikawa
    Elizabeth Chadwick
    Ellis Peters
    Erich Maria Remarque
    Gary Jennings
    Georgette Heyer
    James Clavell
    Jean M Auel
    Jean Plaidy
    Jeff Shaara
    Ken Follett
    Larry McMurtry
    Laura Joh Rowland
    Leon Uris
    Lindsey Davis
    Mary Renault
    Mary Stewart
    Maurice Druon
    Michael Jecks
    Michael Shaara
    Philippa Gregory
    Robert Graves
    Robert Harris
    Sharon K Penman
    Simon Scarrow
    Sir Walter Scott
    Steven Pressfield
    Steven Saylor
    Tim Severin
    Tom Holt
    Valerio Massimo Manfredi
    Wilbur Smith

I cannot overlook Nicholas Guild who is a master story teller. His two book series The Assyrian and The Blood Star are excellent reads.
    shmn and ocnbrze like this.
  7. daveapplemotors

daveapplemotors New Member

Not fiction but a fantastic read:
    "The Histories" by Herodotus

You can see where a lot of fiction writers got there stuff. 'Real history' is just as weird as make believe
  8. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Well-Known Member

Of course, some of that real history is more fictional than anything you see in historical fiction...
  9. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

How about Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - absolutely awesome novel about WW1 (kind of appropriate given next year is the centenary of the start of the War to End All Wars). Actually, anything by Sebastian Faulks is great. He has a books set in various key periods from the late 19th century on - I'm currently reading one set in 1959 touching on the Nixon / Kennedy election.

For 19th century, you just have got to read the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. These are not only absolutely hilarious, rip-roaring tales but also remarkably accurate historically, covering a huge swathe of the most icon events of Victorian world history - the Charge of Light Bridage, the Anglo-Afghan Wars, the Indian Mutiny, Custer's Last Stand, John Brown's attack on Harper's Ferry, the American Civil War, the Boxer War and much, much more.

Then there's I, Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves which are an entertaining - if somewhat sensationalised - portrayal of Rome in the immediate post-Republic days, from Julius Caesar's assasination all the way through to the death of Claudius.

Of course, if you want real historical stuff, why not just read books from those time? Many of the more recent writers are extraordinarily readable - Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain, Wilkie Collins, Jack London, Jerome K. Jerome, Edgar Allan Poe, Dickens, Joseph Conrad and going back a touch further, the Bront
    shmn likes this.
  10. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels.

A wonderful piece of historical fiction detailing the four days at Gettysburg during the Civil War. The movie adaption, Gettysburg, is actually fairly well done and faithful to the novel. I've read this book about 5 times over the past 10 years. Beautifully written with clear and flowing prose.

If you are a fan of the middle ages, give Sharon Kay Penman a try. She has a number of books and series with my favorite being When Christ and His Saints Slept. A huge cast of characters with multiple plot lines and very detailed. Her books give historical fiction a good name.