1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Need some links for guides and tutorials for android virgins & Nexus 7

1. Gaughranorama

Gaughranorama Member

The folks just told me that they plan on picking up a Nexus 7 in the coming days. Now, they're in their late 60's and are complete virgins with Android. I've been looking for simple, easy to understand guides and tutorials for them, be they text or video, but all the ones I've found assume a certain level of familiarity with Android. One was even for some anal sex toy called a Nexus 7 :) I'm not in the same country as them anymore and so won't be on hand to give 'em day to day help. They won't be power users and will mainly use it for web browsing, e-mail, Skype and maps. Anyone one got any links that would help?

Advertisement
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

I would get them the official android forum app or tapatalk and have them join here. This place is a friendly, online living guide that will give them specific help when they have a question. I, myself, have helped many folks from my parents generation (mid 60s) on here with questions. They are generally more appreciative of the personalized help as they grew up in an era with person to person support. Many even commented that they had read the Dummies books and any guide they could find but having someone say "tap the little icon that looks like an open envelope" because that's the way they describe it in their question was really helpful. If you want, have them PM me, I'll introduce myself and get them started.
  3. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

The help is pretty damned helpful. Also, one of the books that I received in Play Books was a Nexus 7 guide. Its all there in black and white and pretty comprehensive.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ Moderator

It is, but like Gaughranorama said, it if for folks that are familiar with Android, touchscreens, cloud storage, and technology in general. My parents grew up being able to put two feet on the frame of the car around the engine block and fix anything with two wrenches. That's not the way things work anymore. When my Grandma had a problem with her car, she went and saw the guy that sold it to her and he made it right. With my parents, I'm the one that sold it to them, and I am the one that needs to make it right. It is a generational difference. And please don't think that I am calling you out perfectstranger, I really think that AF is more like thing were in the 50's with car with regards to how tech is today. We all help each other out.
  5. perfectstranger

perfectstranger Well-Known Member

No problem. I just hope they get treated decently here. People can be harsh to questions that seem simple, we've all seen it. Feel free to give them my username. I'll give whatever help is possible.

Matt
  6. Gaughranorama

Gaughranorama Member

Thanks a million for the offer Unforgiven. I'll definately be getting them to sign up at some point but I'm hoping it won't really be necessary now. The girl they spoke to in PC World was shockingly helpful they said. I think they actually had more praise for her than they did for the Nexus! :) She spent just under 2 hours with them going through all the basics. She walked them through Google Play by downloading and installing Skype and the Camera app and then watched as they did the same for Netflix and another couple of apps. She also showed them how to use Maps and Navigation, use the voice controls, the notification bar and the UI in general. I think they got enough from her to familiarise themselves with the OS enough that they can figure out anything else they need to know. Customer service like that is sadly becoming a thing of the past but Jesus did it make their day and set them off on the right foot into the world of Android :)
  7. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

The Google Nexus YouTube channel has a bunch of videos aimed at the Android first timer - getting started, make yoourself at home, Google Apps...and they seem to be adding more.

Google Nexus - YouTube