• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need some preformance advise...

Hey guys! I have a question, I am hoping you can give me some little trick or suggestion here. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note with ICS4.0.4. It has a ton of apps installed on it, however I thought it has\d plenty of memory.. My problem is the device has been running VERY sluggishly. Like if I am in SMS mode and I am typing, the device can not keep up with how fast my fingers are typing. There seems to be quite a delay between when my finger hits the letter, and I hear and see the letter appear.

I have an 8GB MicroSD card 2GB used. On Board, using Easy Task Killer it says I have used 596MB of 720MB ..well I am not sure..cause that seems very low. I thought this thing had eithe 8GB or 16GM internal memory, so I am not sure.

EDIT: According to specs..
RAM: 1,024 MB
Internal Storage: 16,384 MB
Maximum Removable Storage: 32 GB Removable Storage Included: 8 GB <--Thats what I have
Removable Storage Type: microSD

For performance apps I have App Cache Cleaner and Fast Reboot. Though even after running them, I see no improvement in the sluggishness. The only time there seems to me any improvement is if I completely reboot the device but it seems to be lost pretty quick. Can you please PLEASE help me out here? I really need someway to improve the performance on this thing. This thing should be zippin and instead it seems to act better as a paper weight then the technological wonder it's supposed to be.

I am not outside of purchasing some app to help with the performance if you guys can guarantee me that it will help. I have tried a bunch of the freebee apps such as what I stated above and they work, usually, but for some reason, they just don't seem to be helping anymore and I am not sure at this point what to do.

Thanks guys! I really appreciated it!

Dont forget that these performance enhancing apps themselves uses up resources to run, to me this is like a vicious circle and to me is not the answer.

For me, I house clean my phone by uninstalling apps that I dont need and I would be pretty ruthless when it comes to that. I also check what is running and see which app appears to be hogging lots of resource, and killing or uninstalling it. I try to find equivalent apps that are more efficient and uses less permissions.

Also I try to keep widgets to a reasonable minimum, currently I have 10 widgets and it seems to be pretty comfortable at handling that...

One more thing is that I find chrome and native browser stays alive and i always kill it manually, this frees up a lot of ram.

I am still very happy with the performance with my phone and have no complaints.

Upvote 0
I have tried to kill apps that are loaded on my Note when I got it and I am unable to uninstall these apps. Is there a "secret" way to uninstall apps that the vendor put on the phone?

Thanks for your help,
Rick

enduser2941

From my limited knowledge of Android you can not uninstall these apps but they can be disabled. I suggest that you read what Phredog did at

What pre-installed apps did you disable?

I have about 170 downloaded apps installed on my Note 1 and as yet it is still very responsive. How many apps and widgets do you have?

I'm not sure about this but since your memory does seem low so it may also be worth while moving as many apps as you can to the sd-card to see if that improves matters. Perhaps someone more knowledgably about Android memory management can advise us on this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones