• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need Step By Step Instructions For Moving Files via WiFi Using ES File Explorer

WE File Explore works with Wifi local systems: LAN and cloud based services. For local area networks you have to scan for available devices. Found devices may require a password to gain access. Anyway, your device is labeled as Local and the remote as LAN. In the local window select your folder/files and in the lan window do the same. Once done, copy, move or whatever as needed. Remember though, keep track of what you are doing. Disaster may be a stroke away.

I use ES File Explorer extensively. Check the settings for lots of options.

Reactions: JunBringer
Upvote 0
AirDroid doesn't seem to be working right now and I see that ES File Explorer lets you move files wirelessly over WiFi. I really have no idea how to do this though. Can anyone explain it to me as if I'd never done anything like this before? Thanks!

Jun, I just downloaded ES File Explorer to see if the procedure is the same as Solid Explorer and it's actually way more complicated because you have to add server information and details to connect properly. Solid Explorer is way more simple. Below is how you connect and transfer files using Solid Explorer:

1) Open Solid Explorer App on phone
2) Click Menu>FileSharing
3) Leave "Shared directroy" on the default (/storage)
4) Type in Password (of your own choosing)
5) Click Start, at the bottom of the page
6) Open Windows File Explorer on the CPU/PC (or Mac equivalent)
7) In the top window on file explorer of the CPU, type in the ftp site listed on Solid Explorer.
8) Pop-up Window should appear showing "admin" as the user. When it does, type in the password you chose.
9) The File Explorer program on the CPU should then show both your internal and external storage.

At that point, you should be able to copy and paste freely (until you end the connection on your phone). I highly recommend opening 2 file explorer windows, so that you won't confuse the wireless connection to your phone storage with your cpu files. That will also prevent losing connection via ftp link.

Upvote 0
Jun, I just downloaded ES File Explorer to see if the procedure is the same as Solid Explorer and it's actually way more complicated because you have to add server information and details to connect properly. Solid Explorer is way more simple. Below is how you connect and transfer files using Solid Explorer:

7) In the top window on file explorer of the CPU, type in the ftp site listed on Solid Explorer.
8) Pop-up Window should appear showing "admin" as the user. When it does, type in the password you chose.
9) The File Explorer program on the CPU should then show both your internal and external storage.

At that point, you should be able to copy and paste freely (until you end the connection on your phone). I highly recommend opening 2 file explorer windows, so that you won't confuse the wireless connection to your phone storage with your cpu files. That will also prevent losing connection via ftp link.

You don't have to enter server info in es file explorer. You can have it scan for servers and just enter the password.

Upvote 0
You don't have to enter server info in es file explorer. You can have it scan for servers and just enter the password.

OK, but can you explain how to do that? That was Jun's original question. The instructions I gave were for Solid Explorer, which doesn't even require a search for the server information.

So far, these are the steps I was able to find on ES File Explorer:

1) Open App
2) Menu>Show Tabs
3) Click on FTP
4) Click on "New" Button
5) Choose FTP

From there, I don't see any instructions on how to have it search for the server information.

Upvote 0
OK, but can you explain how to do that? That was Jun's original question. The instructions I gave were for Solid Explorer, which doesn't even require a search for the server information.

So far, these are the steps I was able to find on ES File Explorer:

1) Open App
2) Menu>Show Tabs
3) Click on FTP
4) Click on "New" Button
5) Choose FTP

From there, I don't see any instructions on how to have it search for the server information.

Tap the LAN tab, menu, new, scan.

Upvote 0
Tap the LAN tab, menu, new, scan.

Okay, so I tried this. It pops up the numbers to transfer wirelessly, but when I tried to input through Windows File Explorer, it automatically tries to open through a browser.

To me, that's not as secure and for my work, it won't allow direct access to the ftp, like it does with Solid Explorer.

Solid Explorer works flawlessly and keeps the folders open on Windows File Explorer, as if it's a connected drive (via USB). Much easier to copy and paste.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I tried this. It pops up the numbers to transfer wirelessly, but when I tried to input through Windows File Explorer, it automatically tries to open through a browser.

To me, that's not as secure and for my work, it won't allow direct access to the ftp, like it does with Solid Explorer.

Solid Explorer works flawlessly and keeps the folders open on Windows File Explorer, as if it's a connected drive (via USB). Much easier to copy and paste.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with windows explorer.
If you're transferring to or from the phone you don't need windows explorer, just es.
I also use FTP with es, transferring to and from my external HD via my router, but I prefer to use my terminal emulator for FTP.

ES also has a picture viewer, accesses system files, has a task and autostart manager, and it can backup apk files.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I think you're confusing LAN with FTP. As mentioned use menu button>show tabs, Then select the LAN tab and either enter the IP manually as I prefer or scan to find PCs on your network. ES File explorer is an excellent file manager with root explorer capability if rooted. It is full featured with options for LAN, FTP, Bluetooth. I have my PCs set to use User Accounts for shared access instead of homegroups. It sounds like you're trying to connect from the PC to your phone. I always connect from my phone to my PC by going to the LAN tab in ES and configuring connections for my PCs. To save time you can add folder locations to connect directly to a specific directory on you PC for example:

192.168.1.200/Desktop/path/folder

Desktop......the name of the share
Path ..........the path to the folder

Upvote 0
I think you're confusing LAN with FTP. As mentioned use menu button>show tabs, Then select the LAN tab and either enter the IP manually as I prefer or scan to find PCs on your network. ES File explorer is an excellent file manager with root explorer capability if rooted. It is full featured with options for LAN, FTP, Bluetooth. I have my PCs set to use User Accounts for shared access instead of homegroups. It sounds like you're trying to connect from the PC to your phone. I always connect from my phone to my PC by going to the LAN tab in ES and configuring connections for my PCs. To save time you can add folder locations to connect directly to a specific directory on you PC for example:

Thanks for the explanation. My first reply mentioned transfer using FTP via solid explorer, so that is what confused me.

So, using lan transfer, you have to do something special to have the phone be identified on the pc? My work cpu would not connect through this process due to server security.

Upvote 0

^This, x2. Using EStrong is basically a "copy/paste" procedure, once the phone finds the shared drive/folder via the LAN tab, via wifi.

Upvote 0
^This, x2. Using EStrong is basically a "copy/paste" procedure, once the phone finds the shared drive/folder via the LAN tab, via wifi.

Okay, so here's my question. In an office environment, where there are several businesses with all of their own server connection and wifi connection, how do you figure out which is which, when you're at your office PC and trying to connect the phone with your work PC? I still haven't been able to find a way to do this easily and haven't found a benefit for switching from using Solid Explorer vs. ES File Explorer. Could either you or jellyhead explain in detail exactly what the step-by-step process would be (whether trying to connect to PC, to see folders on the PC via the phone or vice versa)? I think that would help many who want to try this, but may not be able to understand.

Upvote 0
Okay, so here's my question. In an office environment, where there are several businesses with all of their own server connection and wifi connection, how do you figure out which is which, when you're at your office PC and trying to connect the phone with your work PC? I still haven't been able to find a way to do this easily and haven't found a benefit for switching from using Solid Explorer vs. ES File Explorer. Could either you or jellyhead explain in detail exactly what the step-by-step process would be (whether trying to connect to PC, to see folders on the PC via the phone or vice versa)? I think that would help many who want to try this, but may not be able to understand.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have your phone connected to your PC's network via a wi-fi access point. If not, disregard, and assume the following instructions are for one's personal network, with wi-fi, to which the PC and phone are connnected.

Preliminary work (again assuming, on a Windows based PC):

1. Click Start, then "Run", and type CMD in order to open a command prompt.

2. In the command window, type ipconfig in order to obtain the PC's IP address

3. Figure out which drive, or folder, you wish to "share", and add sharing rights accordingly (easier to assign "Everyone" "Full Control")

Using EStrong's File Explorer to connect

1. Open File Explorer. If the "Tabs", more specifically, the "LAN" tab, is not displayed, press the "Menu" phone button, and press "Show Tabs".

2. Press the "LAN" tab

3. Press "Search"...when the PC name, or IP address, of the PC you wish to connect to is displayed, press it. If you are prompted for login/password, usually the format is what ever username is local to that PC, and then the password, or PCname\username would all go into the username field.

4. Just like Windows Explorer, select the drive/folder of the file(s) you wish to access.

5. Once you find the file, either long press, or press the "Select" button for press-to-highlight the desired file(s), and then press "Copy".

6. Press the "Local" tab, and again, just like Windows, select the drive/folder you wish to copy to, press "Operations", and then "Paste"

Upvote 0
Another thought, if your PC doesn't have a reserved ip this may get more complicated. I don't think ES can connect by PC name. If that is the case you would need to change the server IP when the router assigns a new IP.

I find it quicker to just enter the ip in ES manually instead of scanning. I know the IPs of all my PCs anyway.

Upvote 0
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you have your phone connected to your PC's network via a wi-fi access point. If not, disregard, and assume the following instructions are for one's personal network, with wi-fi, to which the PC and phone are connnected.

Preliminary work (again assuming, on a Windows based PC):

1. Click Start, then "Run", and type CMD in order to open a command prompt.

2. In the command window, type ipconfig in order to obtain the PC's IP address

3. Figure out which drive, or folder, you wish to "share", and add sharing rights accordingly (easier to assign "Everyone" "Full Control")

Using EStrong's File Explorer to connect

1. Open File Explorer. If the "Tabs", more specifically, the "LAN" tab, is not displayed, press the "Menu" phone button, and press "Show Tabs".

2. Press the "LAN" tab

3. Press "Search"...when the PC name, or IP address, of the PC you wish to connect to is displayed, press it. If you are prompted for login/password, usually the format is what ever username is local to that PC, and then the password, or PCname\username would all go into the username field.

4. Just like Windows Explorer, select the drive/folder of the file(s) you wish to access.

5. Once you find the file, either long press, or press the "Select" button for press-to-highlight the desired file(s), and then press "Copy".

6. Press the "Local" tab, and again, just like Windows, select the drive/folder you wish to copy to, press "Operations", and then "Paste"

Thank you. This was very clear. It also stands by the reason I prefer using Solid Explorer. Solid Explorer doesn't require any of that preliminary set up. As long as a user follows the steps I mentioned, you can access your phone's external and internal storage wirelessly through your pc, using wifi, that is also connected to the same network. The ftp is set up automatically and nothing needs to be done on the pc except open file explorer and type in the ftp site (similar to airdroid), except instead of using a browser, you're using the cpu's file explorer. Very simple and to the point.

Upvote 0
Thank you. This was very clear. It also stands by the reason I prefer using Solid Explorer. Solid Explorer doesn't require any of that preliminary set up. As long as a user follows the steps I mentioned, you can access your phone's external and internal storage wirelessly through your pc, using wifi, that is also connected to the same network. The ftp is set up automatically and nothing needs to be done on the pc except open file explorer and type in the ftp site (similar to airdroid), except instead of using a browser, you're using the cpu's file explorer. Very simple and to the point.

Fair enough, but that is going in the other direction (PC to phone, not phone to PC, as the OP seeks to do).

There is no way for a phone to connect to a network share, on a PC, without the folder being shared, and security being set...this is a one time event. Getting the IP is only if you have more than 1 PC on the network (I have 6, and 6 more or so "networked devices"), or if your network is not set for name resolution. The "many steps" are mainly for people who don't know much about networking, have never shared a folder/drive before, and need the details clearly explained.

Once its shared, just:

1. open estrong,
2. press LAN,
3. select he PC,
4. then select the file/folder,
5. copy/paste.

If that is too much effort, I really don't see how the process can be made any more efficient, if one is trying to manually specify what gets copied. If you have a folder of files which is "synched on connect", then that's a different story.

Upvote 0
Another thought, if your PC doesn't have a reserved ip this may get more complicated. I don't think ES can connect by PC name...

Not correct:

vy4y9u8u.jpg

Upvote 0
Fair enough, but that is going in the other direction (PC to phone, not phone to PC, as the OP seeks to do).

There is no way for a phone to connect to a network share, on a PC, without the folder being shared, and security being set...this is a one time event. Getting the IP is only if you have more than 1 PC on the network (I have 6, and 6 more or so "networked devices"), or if your network is not set for name resolution. The "many steps" are mainly for people who don't know much about networking, have never shared a folder/drive before, and need the details clearly explained.

Once its shared, just:

1. open estrong,
2. press LAN,
3. select he PC,
4. then select the file/folder,
5. copy/paste.

If that is too much effort, I really don't see how the process can be made any more efficient, if one is trying to manually specify what gets copied. If you have a folder of files which is "synched on connect", then that's a different story.

Hmmm...airdroid is pc to phone, so not quite sure how it's not the same thing. And just to clarify, Jun originally asked how to move files wirelessly without mention of whether it was PC to phone or vice versa.

Using Solid Explorer method I mentioned, you can copy and paste to pc or to phone. Works both ways, without any hassle of extra setup on the PC.

Upvote 0
Hmmm...airdroid is pc to phone, so not quite sure how it's not the same thing. And just to clarify, Jun originally asked how to move files wirelessly without mention of whether it was PC to phone or vice versa.

Using Solid Explorer method I mentioned, you can copy and paste to pc or to phone. Works both ways, without any hassle of extra setup on the PC.

If the OP is asking about using EStrong, then its phone to PC.

By default, some PC OS share the entire drives by default. In an effort to reduce having to "drill down" to a given folder, that folder is shared. This "hassel", right-clicking on a folder and selecting "share", is common practice in multi node networks, or just fine tuning network storage...but not always necessary. Its just easier when I record my internet radio shows to a shared folder on my PC called "ibiza sonica", so when I get home, I connect to that "share" in 1 click, then copy and paste...YMMV.

:beer:

Upvote 0
If the OP is asking about using EStrong, then its phone to PC.

By default, some PC OS share the entire drives by default. In an effort to reduce having to "drill down" to a given folder, that folder is shared. This "hassel", right-clicking on a folder and selecting "share", is common practice in multi node networks, or just fine tuning network storage...but not always necessary. Its just easier when I record my internet radio shows to a shared folder on my PC called "ibiza sonica", so when I get home, I connect to that "share" in 1 click, then copy and paste...YMMV.

:beer:

Don't get me wrong, colnago. Your step-by-step was great and definitely good for personal computing. So much so, that I may end up setting my PC at home that way.

But at work, it's a little too much to go through for configuration. Much quicker for me to just activate the file sharing on Solid Explorer enter the ftp on my PC and share files back and forth, then deactivate when I'm done.

Upvote 0
Sorry I posted this and didn't check back right away. I was really hoping for an AirDroid replacement (until they launch 2.0), so Solid Explorer seems to do what I'd like. I'm glad you both explained both ways though so in the future if I'd like to just access the computer from my phone I can do that. I thought ES went the way that AirDroid did, but apparently it goes the other way. It's easier for me since I put my music together on the computer with iTunes (big Airplay user) and then put the files on my Note 2's SD card. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

Just used this and it works great! Thanks so much!

Ok it's going really slow though, says 12 minutes for a folder with 120MB of music in it.

Upvote 0
Just used this and it works great! Thanks so much!

Ok it's going really slow though, says 12 minutes for a folder with 120MB of music in it.

Really? Are you sure it's not your wireless connection? That's the only time I've noticed it being slow (comparing my work to my home connection). And even at home, it's only slightly slower. I transferred over an entire album (12 songs, highest quality mp3's), at work, in a couple minutes. At home, when I transferred them to my computer as backup, it took a little 'bit longer.

The one thing I can say is that, I found it to be a lot more reliable than Airdroid, which somehow seems to cut out for me fairly easy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones