Need suggestions from fellow EVO owners

Last Updated:

1. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have the EVO in my line and love this phone. Overall i will say its the best phone i have ever owned. Liked the iphone, hated the pre, liked the hero, love the evo.

Now that said i have a problem.

My wife's line is due for a yearly upgrade in another week. She has the pre. I talked her into getting it because i though it would be a good enough phone for her. She always had dumb phones before. Now she hates the pre. Main reason... battery life is terrible. Her signal isnt the strongest where she works and her battery dies before 2pm most days. So it just sucks. Plus the phone is a piece of complete garbage. It shuts down by itself ect. Just terrible.

So i was considering telling her to get an EVO or Epic with her upgrade. But i know from having the EVO that I have to be very battery conscience also. I always have my phone on a charger when i am in the car so it doesnt matter to me. I hear the epic is the same.

So it seems like other than the IPhone the smartphones batteries are hit and miss to make it through the day. Especially in area of weak signal. Now during the say she may only use the phone for about 5 minutes tops. The rest of the day its just sitting in her purse. (she is a teacher). But it still dies.

Does sprint have any phones that someone could recommend that may be coming out soon that she should consider? I dont want her to upgrade to a phone that gives her the same problems. Anyone evo owners ever owned blackberries? How is the whole user experience with a blackberry? Everytime i have ever played with one i hated it. It felt worse than a windows mobile phone. But they have this huge following.

Now i will say she uses the phone to text, not many calls, check email, and look at internet a little. So it needs to have a web browser somewhat.

Any suggestions? The problem with having sprint is we have such a small choice of good phones. Other carriers get so many choices in smart phones. We get 2.

Advertisement
  2. L8AGIN

L8AGIN Well-Known Member

I had a blackberry tour before getting my evo. I really liked the tour but I really love my evo. Battery wise, the tour lasted me all day with all settings/apps on, I charge the evo once in the middle of my day to ensure it'll make thru the day, otherwise it'll be cutting it close. If she mostly keeps it in her purse during the day, I think she might be ok with the evo. Also sprint has the 30 day return policy so if the evo doesn't work out, you can return it for another phone.

3. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

extended battery.

4. Woosh

Woosh Well-Known Member

Well...cpl of things. Are you in a 4G area? Does the 4G price bother you? I would possibly save it till you hear about the Transform if your not in 4G. Battery on smartphones are not overly great normally. I will say my Pre lasted all day with ease but its because it can/does do a lot less then my Evo. Still I can get a full day out of Evo with semi limited use.

Like you said Sprint is fairly limited choices. I don't rly have much of an opinion on which is best. Its all personal preference. If I could go back in time I wouldn't own this Evo. But that is Sprints limitations of data/price moreso then how good the phone is.

I do see a lot of women and older gentlemen with Moments and they seem to like it. So tbh my suggestion would be to see what information is released on the Transform over the next week or so and then visit a Sprint store to see what feels right for her.

No smartphone that sits in a purse all day should die before 8pm.

5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

The Epic battery supposedly lasts longer than the Evo...I've heard. I have not used both my Evo or Epic long enough to confirm.

6. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

when running any Android phone.. its all about your system settings if you want good battery life. I dont really think the phone itself has much to do with the battery life.

7. Mikey P

Mikey P Well-Known Member

I would think the thought process would be, physical keyboard or not. I get on average about 20hrs of usage on my EVO before recharging. It sits beside me at work all day and I constantly (maybe not, but at least twice an hour) check facebook, and some internet pages on it. When I get home, I don't even turn my laptop on, I just use my EVO. I haven't done anything crazy, and don't have a task killer, maybe I just got lucky with a good battery. Haven't played with the Epic yet, but I LOVE MY EVO.