need to access CAPTIVATE files broken screenSupport

Last Updated:

1. Hricco

Hricco New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello All,

I tried everything and I'm beside myself. I dropped my phone off the second level of a local mall....it is (was) a Samsung Captivate. I was leaning over the rail to yell down to someone and the phone fell out of my pocket.

The screen is black....the buttons on the bottom light up and function. but I can't see a thing.

I need to get a video off the phone of my son, it was one of those moments that I was so glad I caught on video. I have to get it!! I"m sending the phone to DR.PHONEZ to get repaired but I scared that this video will be lost. So

I tried BitPim but the phone isn't supported. IT is recognized by my pc but I can't access the files I need.

two REMOVABLE drives show up in "MY COMPUTER" but when I click them it says "please insert disk"

Not sure what to do here, I checked all over the web. PLEASE help

Anything you guys can think of would be great!!

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Get a USB SD card reader and pop the SD card into any PC. You should be able to copy all the files off. Videos are probably in DCIM/Camera with the extension .3gp

3. vailjo91

vailjo91 New Member

You could also try Samsung Kies

4. Hricco

Hricco New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the replies but I never put an SD card in the phone, i is just the internal memory. KIES I can't find a version that works....:rolleyes:

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

You might try taking it to the AT&T store to see if they can copy the internal memory from the phone.

6. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Yeah the problem is the drives don't appear on the PC unless you go through the "mount" procedure on the device, which is rather hard if the screen doesn't work. I installed the auto-mount app which is convenient but doesn't help you now.