Need to Clarification about 30 Day Return

Last Updated:

1. DGalt

DGalt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I know lots of people keep saying "well if there is something wrong return it. do it asap so it's before 30 days" etc. etc.

Just to clarify, though, we have a 1 year warranty on this phone meaning that, anything short of you dropping your phone in a puddle / damaging it some other way, they should replace the phone if there is a defect, right? So if my phone starts rebooting a week from now (the 6th is 30 days for me) or if something else goes wrong (screen loosens up to a point that's debilitating, or something else stupid) I can still bring it back under the 1 year warranty.

At least I'm assuming that to be true. Just seems like a lot of people think that if something happens outside the first 30 days they're sol. I understand that 30 days is the no-questions-asked return period, but we still have a warranty.

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

correct.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Sure, but if you have the Verizon insurance you don't get a replacement for free; you have to pay the deductible.

4. square

square Well-Known Member

the warranty is through motorola, not vzw.

Motorola, at its option, will at no charge repair, replace or refund the purchase price of any Products, Accessories or Software that does not conform to this warranty. We may use functionally equivalent reconditioned/refurbished/ pre-owned or new Products, Accessories or parts. No data, software or applications added to your Product, Accessory or Software, including but not limited to personal contacts, games and ringer tones, will be reinstalled. To avoid losing such data, software and applications please create a back up prior to requesting service.

5. toolfreak

toolfreak Member

you are all close but not exact on the policy yes the phone has a 1 year warranty through VERIZON (At least verizon handles the replacement and theres no dealing with Motorola though they prolly pay verizon for it) as long as it dosent have water damage you can 99% of the time get a free replacement with in the first year BUT the replacement you get will be a Refurbished or as verizon says "certified like new". but if its in the first 30 days you can take it back to the store and they give you a brand new one instead of a refurbed POS.

6. boycan

boycan Well-Known Member

Also if I remember correctly in that thirty days you can change phone brand or even completely back out of the contract.

7. toolfreak

toolfreak Member

yes that is also true you would not have to pay the 175 early termination fee but would have to pay for the calls made

8. AllDroid

AllDroid Well-Known Member

VZW has been really good about replacing my assorted broken phones under the warranty. If the store says no call *611 and vice a versa. Been with VZW for over 10 years now.

9. toolfreak

toolfreak Member

Yeah they have been good. Good to me also I break a lot of phones :)

10. Amaroth

Amaroth Well-Known Member

yeah but what if you bought a phone from best buy :(
    will verizon replace it still?

11. johnpariah

johnpariah New Member

..so...

i'm a VZW rep..

in the first 30 days you can exchange the device for the same device BRAND NEW IN THE BOX for free. You can also exchange for a different device for a $35 Restock Fee (plus difference in phone prices..of course).

BEGINNING DAY 31 your MFR warranty kicks in, for a full year, Verizon will replace your phone under warranty at NO CHARGE if you have a defect...these include, but are not limited to:

-short in speaker
    -short in ear piece
    -bluetooth not pairing
    -unresponsive (but not damaged) touch screen
    -stuck keys
    -non working keys / buttons
    -etc-etc-etc...basically along those lines.

if the screen has some minor damage (ie: big black sploge in the corner), the Verizon store-AT MANAGERS DISCRETION can replace it for $50-because it is technically not covered under warranty.

In either case, Verizon provides you with a CERTIFIED LIKE NEW REPLACEMENT, these replacements are usually 30 day swaps reconditioned BY MOTOROLA (or RIM or LG or Samsung..depending on the phone of course).

If your phone is damaged severly (read: shattered screen, broken hinge, etc) or liquid damaged, or lost / stolen. Without insurance, VZW will offer the one year pricing on a new device.

WITH INSURANCE, you will pay Assurion an $89 deductible, and they will overnight you a new Droid.

hope that answers everything....as i said...i AM a Verizon rep

12. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

Vzw won't let me exchange my phone for a new one and I'm within the 30 day window. They said that they would only do so for a reproducible in the store manufacturer defect. The main issue my phone has (led light visible in one corner at pretty much all usable viewing angles) isn't sufficient. Frustratingly, they won't look at the screen in dim light, claim to see no problem, and then showed me phones without this issue while saying the normal models proved the issue affected all phones. I've been in twice and I'm tired of arguing it...I just want my money back at this point.

I think I'm going to return the phone and go back to my dumbphone (cringe), wait till after christmas to see what the prices look like and if anything new comes out, and then possibly buy the droid again.

Returning my upgraded phone means I haven't burned the discounted upgrade, no? Does it roll back the contract extension? I basically want a 'reset' button to take me back to before I bought it.

13. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Where you at a true VZW store, or an "affiliate" type store? VZW should replace the phone no questions asked. Also, I found (in my area), the employees at Verizon+ stores (still a real Verizon store, but they do everything...Wireless, Fios, DSL, Phone, etc) to be much more willing to do more for you, so maybe try one of those if you have one near you.

On a side note that some of you may find interesting for future purchases, the Verizon+ stores sell their cell phones at contract price, meaning no mail in rebates. It's done instantly in store, just like Best Buy. My brother got his Droid at a VZ+ store...

That said, I bought my Eris at a Best Buy. I had scratched the Eris and was worried they wouldn't exchange it for a Droid. I walked in and exchanged the Eris w/no questions asked...He barely looked at the Eris when doing the exchange, and he was the BB Mobile department manager. Also, Best Buy doesn't charge a restocking fee.

14. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

I think its a real vzw store (right next to the berkeley campus, so pretty high traffic, and listed in the vzw website) First time I went in, they said they'd have a tech email me to determine whether the issue was in their database of problems that they were allowed to authorize exchanges for. Never happened.

The second time, they claimed that there was no problem that they could see at a glance, but also that all of the droids had this problem they couldn't see (including ones that I could see were fine.)

I just called 611 and somehow ended up troubleshooting my camera.

Tomorrow afternoon, I either come home with an acceptable droid or a cracked 2 year old LG clamphone and a canceled dataplan. Stepping back for a few weeks/months while the kinks get ironed out and new players show up is not an approach without merits.

15. djsat03

djsat03 Well-Known Member

If your phone is danged severely, you get one year pricing on a new device, will does that mean we also have to send back the phone that is damaged too? or we get to keep it and can get it repaired on our own.?

16. toolfreak

toolfreak Member

i know at my store it is store policy that the problem does have to be recreatable , if we can not see the problem we can not get credit back for the phone. i am an indirect agent so things are a little bit different but i know before i worked for verizon any time i had a problem they had to see it before they could replace my phone. i would maybe try a different store but most likely if its something they can not see happen when compared to another working model they will not replace it. You can always just return it and cancel you upgrade, then go to another store and do the upgrade there.

17. ralar

ralar Member

Today is day 30 since I ordered my Droid online. I activated it two days later.

Last night, as I was walking through a dark parking lot. I heard something and thought I had stepped on a flattened aluminum can. I almost walked away, but went back to see if I could find whatever I had stepped on. I couldn't see anything, but I felt the "thing" as I first stepped on it, and then kicked it. To my horror, it lit up and when I bent down I dicovered it was my Droid! It has a Phantom Skinz protector installed on the screen. The asphault scratched up the protector pretty badly and also tore a small hole in it, resulting in a small scratch on the glass (only visible when the phone is turned off). I'm sure the phone would be unuseable had the Phantom Skinz not been in place. In addition to the small scratch on the glass, the phone sustained numerous deep scratches to the bezel surrounding the glass, and some scratches to the top edge of the keyboard.

Since I purchased the Droid in December, I have until mid-January to return it "no questions asked." Does "no questions asked" also apply to scratched phones? Since I am still within 30 days of activating the phone, I should be able to add insurance.

What do you think the chances are that I will be able to simply return the phone? I'm willing to return it and go back to my Blackberry for a few days before purchasing another Droid, if necessary. Or, should I simply add the insurance and pay the deductible for a lost or damaged phone?

TIA.

18. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

Im in the same boat. i purchased mine online on november 19.. on my invoice it says phones purchased november 15th to december 14th are eligible for return exchange up to Jan 13th... I called on Jan 5th due to problems with my phone and they are not giving me a new one they are sending me a refurbished one. im waiting to see if it actually is then im going to call and complain.. if it is im probably just going to return the refurb, return my droid go back to my old phone for a few days and cancel the upgrade.

19. bschellva

bschellva Member

Does anyone know... is it 30 days from purchase or 30 days from activation?