Need to get rid of CyanogenMod 9 and go back to stock

Last Updated:

1. 1966Ford

1966Ford New Member

I have a Droid 3 and I rooted it and installed CyanogenMod 9 (9.0.0-RC0-solana-KANG), which is Android 4.0.3. I don't even remember how I did it other than I think I used something called safestrap.

I was really liking it, but then the radio in my phone died completely. I would like to return the phone back to stock to see if it starts working again, and if not return it to Verizon for replacement.

How do I go back to stock?

2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you did indeed use Safestrap, it should be pretty easy. When you shut down the phone and then start, it should show a special Safestrap menu for 10 seconds (prompting you to press "Menu" to start Safestrap, "Search" to continue booting normally, or just wait to boot normally.)

If you press Menu at that point, in a few seconds the Safestrap menu will appear. You can then use the volume keys to move the highlight through the menus and power to select your option.

I would choose Backup/Restore and backup what you have now (just in case), go back to the main menu, go to the Safe boot menu, toggle the safe system off. Go back to the main menu and shut down the phone. When you restart, it should start stock rooted.

If you never applied the over the air update to version 906 that was delivered last month, and never deleted any stock apps, going back to stock unrooted should be as easy as going to settings->about phone->system updates and the OTA update should download, install and apply.
  3. 1966Ford

1966Ford New Member

The recovery stuff on my phone would not work at all.

I ended up finding and doing this:

Unbricking/SBFing the DROID3 (Or returning to stock without a Nandroid)
    So, you did something you weren't supposed to do, and now you're left with a brick (or you forgot to make a Nandroid, and want to go back to stock).
    Download this One Click SBF rar file by psouza4 from XDA, and this SBF file.
    This SBF will completely wipe your device and install software version 5.6.890 on your phone.
    To use:
    Step 1) Make sure you have the most recent Moto drivers installed.
    Step 2) Extract the zip to a folder on your computer.
    Step 3) Extract all of the SBF contents into the "files" folder in the folder you unzipped.
    Step 4) Power down your phone.
    Step 5) While holding the Vol + and Vol - buttons, power on your phone.
    Step 6) Select "AP Fastboot"
    Step 7) Once your phone says it is connect, double click "CLICK HERE - Flash Verizon DROID 3 OTA 5.6.890 to phone.bat"
    Step 6) Wait for your phone to reboot, then are back on the Stock OTA 5.6.890 update.

And funnily enough, the phone started working great again after getting back to stock. I'm just going to leave it stock I think. I like the benefits of different ROMs but they all have stuff that's broken and I just want a phone that works.
  4. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

There is no doubt in my mind that CM9 ROMs on this phone are not ready for everyday phone use. Perhaps they are interesting to see how ICS works, there are far too many things not working or broken to be used seriously. The major advantage to rooting and running a GB ROM (with everything working) is to debloat and gain some extra battery life.

That said, from my info to the left you will see that I run my D3 stock, and will continue to do so for a while.
  5. Shurple

Shurple Well-Known Member

I used the two links posted here, and although they did fix all the things missing/wrong with my rooted D3, I'm still rooted. Not to be redundant because I already posted a separate thread asking for help, but I wish these links here unrooted me. Should they have?
  6. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Moved this to the All Things Root section. Thanks for understanding. :)
  7. redsox985

redsox985 Well-Known Member

This only applies if your system version in 5.6.890. If you recently accepted an OTA, or flashed the leak, then you'll need different SBF files.