Need to manually export contacts from device

Last Updated:

1. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Through a couple boneheaded mishaps when moving to one of the 2.1 ROMs, I managed to wipe out all my Outlook contacts I had stored on my company's exchange server.

I won't go into all the details, but it happened when I tried to restore some data I had backed up before upgrading to the new ROM, and I forgot to uncheck "contacts" from the stuff I was restoring. Some process croaked when the restore was done, causing some silliness with my Google contacts, but also wiping out my Exchange contacts on the phone as well as on the server.

The good news is I have a full NAND backup from before I upgraded the ROM, so I can jump back to that to access my contacts. Problem is, I can't get them to sync remotely with the Exchange server. They also won't sync (or "reverse-sync" if that is the correct term) with Outlook when I use the latest version of the HTC Sync software.

So basically, I can't find a way to move the contacts from the phone to the Exchange server. What I want to do is get those contacts from my old NAND backup, move them to Outlook/Exchange, and then have them sync 'naturally' from the Exchange server to my phone, while running the new ROM I have installed.

I'm okay with having to do a NAND backup of what I'm currently running, restore the old backup to extract the contacts somehow, and then restoring the 'new' NAND backup, but I can't figure out how to manually copy the contacts so I can then import them into Outlook.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. wodin6

wodin6 Well-Known Member

Try this:

restore your nand backup
    install 2.1 without wiping
    export the contacts to sd -> people, menu, import/export, export to sd
    copy the contacts file from sd card to computer
    import the contacts into outlook or gmail
    wipe the phone
    install the rom you want
    setup your exchange/gmail account

That should get you up and running.

derspiess likes this.
  3. momoceio

momoceio Well-Known Member

Or, if you have the contacts already in your Google contacts...go to http://contacts.google.com and export to an Outlook CSV then import into Outlook.

derspiess likes this.
  4. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, guys. I actually ended up biting the bullet & asking our desktop support to recover the contacts from a backup. They were restored & showed up in my phone almost as soon as I saw them in Outlook. I wanted to avoid having to tell them "I'm an idiot & did something stupid"-- even though I'm obviously less shy about doing so here :)

Definitely going to export them to a .csv file though just to keep handy.