Need to return my phone...need help restoring it to stockSupport

Last Updated:

1. fivebraids

fivebraids New Member This Topic's Starter

New user here...signed up just prior to getting my Captivate, and really appreciating the information I've picked up through this forum.

As the title says, I need to return my phone but I'm afraid I'll have issues since I've flashed SRE 1.2.2, SU, etc. I've read the recent threads on here about returning non-stock phones and that most AT&T folks don't even know what rooting a phone is, but that IS a concern for me. I recently had to return my 'first' Captivate due to the random shutdown problem I was seeing. The FIRST thing the AT&T clerk I was working with did was turn on the phone and go to Settings-->About Phone and have a look. I'm pretty sure he was looking at the Kernel and build info. Since I had run ODIN on that phone before I tried to return it, there was nothing out of the ordinary for him to see, and a short time later I walked out with a new phone.

And there lies my current problem...

The reason I need to return this Captivate is that the USB port has stopped working. More precisely, the data portion of the port is no longer working. I get the dreaded "DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED" error message. The phone still charges, but there is no way to get a data connection established.

Before folks volunteer all the usual corrections for this problem, I'm pretty sure I've tried them ALL:

• Removing and reinstalling the USB drivers used for ODIN
    • Removing and reinstalling the USB drivers obtained directly from the Samsung site
    • Removing Kies and retrying both sets of drivers independently
    • Trying different USB ports on my dekstop (both front, rear and external hub)
    • Trying a completely different computer
    • Trying a new cable
    • Etc...

Based on all the various tests I've tried, I'm pretty sure the problem is the actual hardware port on the phone.

So, here's my question(s):

1. Without a USB connection to a computer, is there anyway to restore a Captivate to complete stock?

Obviously, I can uninstall everything, including SU, ADW, and all my other apps. But I don't know how I can reset the kernel and build info without actually running a restore. The current info would be a dead giveaway to AT&T.

2. Would ROM Manager be able to restore the phone, if I were able to get my hands on a complete ROM mgr backup of a stock phone?

I saw someone of XDA mention that they kept a copy of the stock ROM on their phone as a backup for reinstalling when they wanted to flash a new copy of SRE. Is this actually possible? Would it restore the phone to COMPLETE stock?

Any other ideas to help me return this one get a new phone?

Thanks in advance...

Advertisement
  2. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member

This may be a dumb question, and I don't mean to offend, but I have to ask... Have you tried hooking up the phone to other computers to see if it recognizes on them?

3. fivebraids

fivebraids New Member This Topic's Starter

Not a dumb question at all...but I already answered that in the fifth of my bullet points above. I've tried this phone on both my wife's laptop as well as a friends desktop...neither of which has ever had the USB drivers installed prior to my tests. Still wouldn't connect to either of those machines, which is why I'm almost certain the physical port on the phone is hosed. It worked on my desktop for about a day, then simply quit being recognized.

Since it doesn't appear that anyone has any suggestions on restoring the phone to stock without a working USB connection, how about a different question altogether?

Is there any SURE FIRE way to cause this phone to permanently hang at the AT&T World Phone white screen?

Obviously, such a 'hang' would be recoverable with ODIN, but without USB there'd be no way to fix it, and AT&T would have to admit the phone was defective and needed to be replaced. The hang would have to occur directly on the white screen, since the next screen would be that annoying AT&T 3G screen, which no longer exists on my flashed phone.

If I could accomplish that, at least I could return it and they'd have no way to know it's been rooted and flashed. I'd obviously wipe as much data from the phone as possible before attempting to hang it.

Thoughts/suggestions?