need to root an eris and could use some advise (i think)

Last Updated:

1. JSammy

JSammy Member This Topic's Starter

I bought an eris off craigslist, and this time around it was a bit of a ripoff.

make a long story short, guy cloned it (or so it seems) and I couldn't really get it to work. So now i started reading the
    HOW TO: Fully Flash an HTC Droid Eris to Metro PCS (Tutorial v2.0)

and it's a great read. I go to metro pcs, have them flash it. They tell me that since it was cloned the ID numbers on it are from some old phone at some point the phone may stop working. (Great...)

Hence I need a phone so I have this untill i get another or it dies and I get another-whichever comes first.

Now in reading that great tutorial I have come to part 3, number 6. I can't get it to work properly. So i post on that thread my dilemma (it's on the last page of it), and someone replied that if I am getting "$" prompts and not a "#" prompt it isn't rooted.

oookkkkkkkkk.

So now, i am looking to root it I guess. After reviewing some threads here it seems there are some massive advantages to rooting the phone. and find this nice thread:
    Eris Rooting Guide: Updated 18 November 2010, 10:47 am Central U.S.

So now that you have some background and I am running out of breath, here's the actual questions (please keep in mind while i learn quick and am "computer techy" i am oblivious to phones):

1) Will rooting the phone mess up my flash, or the fact that it's cloned.
    2) Will it wipe out any valuable information?
    3) If I root it will i lose connection to my service?
    4) is there a way to reset the phone so I have the original ID numbers to it? (guy at metro pcs dealer tried and it wouldn't work no matter what he did and i though him pretty fluent in his work)
    5) after reviewing the rooting guide thread, which do you recommend to do?

Additionally if someone could reccomend some good reads, I would appreciate it. While I realize most people first think to scour the posts posted (and I have) it's difficult to pull tangible information in an efficient manner with such a vague search ( How to root eris), not to mention, I would prefer advice from reputable folks and there are always ppl out there to hurt others.

OK, now Ive run out of breath :p

Thanks in advance to all

JSammy

Advertisement
  2. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Try the one click root method. Now as most people don't have cloned phones this is a hard one to answer. 1. I don't know if it will mess up the clone. 2. You will read and here it lots, save to your computer. pictures video anything you want to keep. 3. will you lose connection, not sure it may depend on if the clone is related to your connection. On a regular phone, never had the problem. 4. I never checked to see if the id number changed after root. Good question. If it gives you a new one then it doesn't matter. Well the MEID is the same from my custom rom and my phone, now will it stay that way for a clone, not sure. XDA developers is a great place to ask.
    5. like I said one click root is the most popular, I did it the old way so I don't have any experience in that method.

3. travisbickle88

travisbickle88 Member

Go to xda forums and search 1 click root method I just recently used it to root my eris and it was very simple. You just download a rom of your choice and then download the one click method and run it. Then flash you rom. There are much more detailed instructions on the one click thread. Like i said i just recently did it so i'm not the most qualified person to be talking to. Nonetheless, it worked for me. Don't forget to back everything up and have fun.:D Also read the whole thread on one click method to make sure you don't miss anything.

4. travisbickle88

travisbickle88 Member

...before you do any of that i would definitly look into rooting and clones. Because you never know what might happen unless someone has done it before. So go to xda forums and look that up too.

5. dotsonha

dotsonha New Member

Hi I have the same problem, Did you ever find a solution? Will a factory reset mess my metroflash up? How do I delete the old gmail account? Thanks ...I know its been a while :)