• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root need to root. need suggestions.

thedamon

Mar 6, 2011
I just purchased a (used) ally. I am planning on putting it on PagePlus Cellular. I will be limited to 20mb of data, so I want to use data only for picture messages and voice to text.

I am looking for a root, a stable rom (velocity 1.0 sounds best), and droid wall to control data.

Currently the ally is v2.1, Kernel v2.6.29, SW v VS740ZVC, Baseband version VS740MVC.5210.1015. Computer running Windows xp sp2.

I have some experience with rooting (my Nook Color). I have read through many of the posts on rooting.

Should I use z4root (savoxis.com) or Trident (and others) 2.2.1 guide, or what? Do I need to update or set back my phone ([GUIDE][LGNPST] Alternate V6 Restore Method is now gone)?

Any help or advise is welcomed. Thanks.

I just purchased a (used) ally. I am planning on putting it on PagePlus Cellular. I will be limited to 20mb of data, so I want to use data only for picture messages and voice to text.

I am looking for a root, a stable rom (velocity 1.0 sounds best), and droid wall to control data.

Currently the ally is v2.1, Kernel v2.6.29, SW v VS740ZVC, Baseband version VS740MVC.5210.1015. Computer running Windows xp sp2.

Any help or advise is welcomed. Thanks.

I think the best way to get to velocity for you would be http://androidforums.com/ally-all-t...-3-2011-3-40-pm-est-now-easier-than-ever.html the new improved download will give you the option of installing stock Froyo rooted or Velocity.
20MB data isn't much at all for a Android Phone. Good luck with that & let us know how its working in a month or two if you will.:)

Upvote 0
I think the best way to get to velocity for you would be http://androidforums.com/ally-all-t...-3-2011-3-40-pm-est-now-easier-than-ever.html the new improved download will give you the option of installing stock Froyo rooted or Velocity.
20MB data isn't much at all for a Android Phone. Good luck with that & let us know how its working in a month or two if you will.:)
Do I need to update the phone to Android v2.2 before I do the "guide froyo 2.2.1 ?" Or does it put 2.2.1 onto my phone? Does it root my phone?

I just am confused (no my first time) on what to do first. update OTA to 2.2, root, (Froyo.zip), (FroyoLiteWin.zip), or downgrade to vZV06?
Or should I update to 2.2 and use SuperOneClick v1.7?

Upvote 0
Do I need to update the phone to Android v2.2 before I do the "guide froyo 2.2.1 ?" Or does it put 2.2.1 onto my phone? Does it root my phone?

I just am confused (no my first time) on what to do first. update OTA to 2.2, root, (Froyo.zip), (FroyoLiteWin.zip), or downgrade to vZV06?

The guide updates to 2.2.1 and roots you at the same time. Just activate the phone and before you put any other user data on it (dont download apps and such), do the guide. It's really not complicated.

Reactions: thedamon
Upvote 0

It will downgrade you to VS740ZV6 so you will have fast boot, go through each update and finally give you the option of installing rooted stock Froyo 2.2.1 or Velocity 1.0. It will also put Amon Ra Recovery on for you.
It's just the easiest way to make sure you have everything you might need in the future when you switch to that 20MB a month data plan.

Reactions: thedamon
Upvote 0
I have been trying [GUIDE] FroYo 2.2.1 for Root Users! (Updated 3/3/2011 at 3:40 pm EST - NOW EASIER THAN EVER!) and have run into the same problem as described below.
I am having trouble geting my computer to install the right drivers - can someone help me?

I have sucessfully downgraded to VS740ZV6

Now I follow the following steps and run into a problem:

10. RUN C:\Froyo\ADB.bat
DEVICE MANAGER WILL OPEN AUTOMATICALLY (Yes this happens)

11. Expand "ADB Bootloader Device" (Might be listed as "Android!" Under Other Devices) (I dont have anything that states this exactly. I have something called ADB INTERFACE. I expanded this and I have ANDROID SOONER SINGLE ADB INTERFACE.)

12. Right click and choose "Update Driver or Install Driver" (I right clicked ANDROID SOONER SINGLE ADB INTERFACE and chose update driver)

13. Select "I will choose driver to install" (Done)

14. Navigate to where the Android USB drivers are <eg: C:\android-sdk-windows\google-usb_driver) (If file or directory doesn't exist see Step 2>. (I navigate to C:\Froyo\AndroidSDK\Google-usb_driver, as instructed and hit search.)

15. Choose "android_winusb.inf" and accept that this is an unsigned driver it should notify you that the driver was successfully updated.
-It also may state that it can't find suitable driver, if it does simply state you will look yourself and choose "Single ADB Boote Loader" or the like. (Niether file shows up and my computer indicates that i am running the most current driver.)

I know this question has been asked before, but I cannot find a post that provides an answer to this issue.

Anyone's help would be much appreciated.

DZ
I tried deleting the drivers and starting over, but still had (slightly different) problems. Where I run into trouble is updating the drivers. Then I get the locked-up fastboot blue screen, and I have to pull battery and start over.

Is there somewhere to go from here, or should I try a different computer (maybe a windows 7)?

Upvote 0
Hey, I posted this in another forum over at Android Central:
[How-To] Root the LG Optimus V - Page 15 - Android Forums

Basically, I'm running Windows 7 x64, and I ran into driver issues non-stop. Finally found the fix after doing some digging around.

Try the drivers for your carrier found at Drivers & Resources - LG Forum
I'm not sure if it was the first or second one for my Virgin Mobile V, but one of em worked!

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones