Need update TMO HTC MyTouch 3G OS 1.6

Last Updated:

1. efbatey

efbatey Member This Topic's Starter

Have T-Mobile (US) MyTouch 3G with Android OS 1.6, DMD64 (a pig, poor networking, radio). SD=3.68GB, Mem=188MB avail, reported. Rarely downloads attachments, rarely makes calls with Google Voice. Badly needs upgrade to 2.X.

Wife's NEW T-Mobile (US) MyTouch 3G SLIDE with Android OS 2.X (X=1 or 2). Screams, gets attachements, reliable calls out on with Google Voice, even in my mediocre GSM / EDGE / limited 3G neighborhood tower network.

IDEAS wanted. No not enough $s for an early upgrade.

efbatey AT gmail DOT com

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Welcome! I'm going to move this to where more folks will see it! :D

3. dbgrigg189

dbgrigg189 Well-Known Member

Honestly, to me it sounds more like you may need to do some system maintenance more than upgrading it. Maybe even to the extent of backing up what you need and doing a factory reset. These phones are like a computer, they get bogged down with time and use. Also, how often do you cycle your phone (i.e. shut it off and leave it off for at least 5 to 10 min)?

If you are just dead set on updating it, I would go through a site such as TheUnlockr.com - Cell Phone How To's, Phone Reviews, and Wireless News! for guides on how to root and add a custom rom. This will be the only way to get a newer version of the software on your phone, and be aware that it does void your warranty.

There are my suggestions, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me any time.

4. Phateless

Phateless Well-Known Member

You'd be amazed at how much a system restore will do for you. Use a program like MyBackUP from the Market to save things like bookmarks, user dictionary, etc. Google will save your contacts and calendar.

When was the last time you cleared all your text message threads? That alone makes a BIG difference!

Agreed. If the restore doesn't work, you should actually use this method - even easier than theunlockr.

[GUIDE] Universal AndRoot - 1-click root (works on MyTouch 3G 1.2) - xda-developers

You literally download and install a program which roots your phone and helps you install other ROMs. If you don't care about newer ROMs you can use universal androot, download setcpu from the market so you can overclock your processor, and go on your merry way. That's what I did. All stock 1.6 with secpu overclocked to 528mhz. Phone runs WAY better than it did before.