• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Needing Wireless Tether Help

kaneda312

Oct 12, 2010
Ga
Ok, so I rooted my Eris and I am running KaosFroyo v37. I downloaded Wireless Tether, and its not working. Its broadcasting that it made an available wireless access point, but when i try to connect to it nothing happens... my computer wont link up to it. I know my wifi card works because I have a working wireless access point where I live that i use every day with no issues... Its like my laptop sees the network, but wont associate with it.
Anyone else having this issue? I tried using barnacle and it did the exact same thing.

Did you turn on Access Control on the wifi tether app? It makes it so no one can connect to the phone's wifi without you approving their MAC address first. So when someone tries to connect, a pop up comes up on the phone and says xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is trying to connect, allow connection? Then when you agree they can surf to thier hearts content

Upvote 0
At this point I have tried everything I can think of trying to get this to work. Ive been reading up as much as I can on these forums and through what I can get up on google. It still doesnt work. I tried flashing a rom that came with it ( currently on latest version of Black Tazz ) and it still wont work. I've tried 2.1 roms, 2.2 roms, older versions of roms and older versions of wifi tether from googles repository. I'm stumped. No one else has had this much difficulty getting their computer's wifi to interact correctly with their rooted Eris or had to run a custom script to get it to work? Its just bizarre that the Eris would broadcast the BSSID, but not authenticate or correctly associate with the computer trying to connect without giving an error of some sort. Heck, I've even tried using different wifi cards with different chipsets ( Realtek and Atheros ) and different OS's running different wifi utilities. ( Vector Linux using Wicd Manager and Windows 7 using Microsofts windows wifi utility )

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones