Neo Hybrid or Slim Armour?Tips

1. Schwuar

Schwuar Well-Known Member

I am torn between these 2 cases from Spigen

From what i have read the Slim Armour offers more protection and a bit more bulk however the Neo Hybrid is obviously slimmer and looks better, although i suppose the looks go on personal preference

Just wondering if anyone has any of these and would you recommend them?

Advertisement
  2. KaneoheGrown

KaneoheGrown Active Member

Although I absolutely love my Neo Hybrid, it does add some weight to the phone. Not sure how much weight the Spigen adds, but the Hybrid is rather noticeable. But other than that I gotta say the case is pretty awesome, looks great and provides decent enough protection.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Well-Known Member

I really like the Neo Hybrid. The fit and finish are very nice. I'm not sure that it adds much in the way of weight to the phone or if it's just the way it feels in your hand that makes it feel that way. I like the way the case makes the phone feel when I'm using it for a phone call, feels like I have more to hold onto. I haven't had the chance to see the Slim Armor in person so I can't really compare the two. But I do like this case because it's not all plastic. I'm pretty careful with my phones but a drop is inevitable, just hoping this case will help the phone survive. :)
  4. iwoloschin

iwoloschin Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the Neo Hybrid. Mine got scratched within a week, but I've never dropped it or let it near keys or other hard objects. The buttons are also pretty mushy. Not really a premium feel for a premium price.
  5. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

I did drop mine with the Neo installed. More like it skipped out of my pocked the second day I had it. Was in front pocket of athletic shorts and sat on an adirondack rocking chair. When I leaned back the phone shot out of my pocket. My red plastic band got scuffed on some rough concrete. FYI it's white under that beautiful red paint. Fortunately I had some red touch up paint for my truck. Close enough I guess.
    Other than the above, I really like the Neo for the weekends, it protects well enough and looks great. I'm also using the $10 Spigen case during the week. It's not as slippery and just a wee thicker.
    I think you'll be pleased with either one, beautiful cases.
  6. Schwuar

hmm, would you say the plastic band would snap easily? a lot of people say theres has when they have dropped it or by just putting it on?

i ordered the bounce case to tide me over till the neo hybrid got released but the seller must have messed up somewhere and i just asked for a full refund because now the hybrid is out

i was originally going to use the hybrid until the otterbox commuter came out cause i love that case on my note 2 and its survived so many drops however i am tempted to try a slimmer case as they do look better

as soon as i seen the hybrid at the start of the month i wanted it and disregarded the slim armour but now i cant make up my mind :( lol
  7. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

I weighed the Neo at 44g. The $10 Spigen is 39g. The GN3 is 172g. The cases add about 25% more weight.
  8. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

The plastic band would hold up well to a drop. I can't imagine it breaking. Maybe someone had their pet Gorilla install it for them. ;)
    I just wanted to alert you of the white under the paint being exposed if you drop it. It really stands out, especially if you choose red like I did. All my cars, trucks or motorcycles are either red or black or both. I'm a little partial to those colors.
  9. Schwuar

it would be the yellow or slate if i went with one although im guessing they will all end up being white underneath the paint, it would be good if they sold the bumpers separate but they would probably charge a premium for them
  10. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

Ya, Spigen sells the slim armor frames for the Iphone 5 for only $7. Change colors whenever you want or if one is damaged. Great idea.
  11. jetguat

jetguat Well-Known Member

Look in the note 3 cases thread. There are detailed reviews on both. In that thread many say the hybrid is a premium price but armor provides more protection and some say fits even better. Of course those comments come from those that have both. I only have the armor or but stronger considered the Neo Hybrid until I convince myself looking at reviews that the armor has better protection especially on the edges
  12. Methos1979

Methos1979 Well-Known Member

Also in that thread there is an owner of both for the Note 3 (as well as owning several Spigen cases for a few of his recent phones) and he states in direct comparison of these two cases that the Slim Armor case is smaller, lighter, provides better protection and better fit. He definitively prefers the Slim Armor over the Neo Hybrid.

I have the Neo Hybrid and I found the fit to be very good. It does add a significant amount of weight and size to the GN3. I'm seriously thinking of trying the Slim Armor soon.
  13. Schwuar

cheers all, going to go with the Slim Armour and maybe the Neo as well, will have a think about it

has anyone had any experiences dealing with spigen straight from their website in the UK? rather than using ebay
  14. RickSchlegel

RickSchlegel Well-Known Member

I went with the Slim Armor and the GLAStR screen protector --- a perfect match and fit, they seem to have been engineered together. Looks like about 0,2 mm added to the perimeter by the case. Total phone, case and screen protector weighs in at 210 g. Solid, a perfect case and screen protector for this phone --- looks very finished, and cool.
  15. Willdiver

Willdiver Well-Known Member

I came from a Motorola DROID RAZR maxx, so I'm used to a heavy, solid feel. The slim armor fits perfectly, and I get that firm solid feel.
  16. jds4000

jds4000 Well-Known Member

Neither. Wait a few more days for the Otterbox Defender or Commuter.
  17. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

neo makes the already big phone even bigger. dont like it.
  18. Methos1979

I now own both. Check out my post in the cases thread for direct comparisons of weights and size: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-note-3/775408-note-3-cases-7.html#post6245013
  19. Methos1979

So, here's my final take on these two cases. Both are great. Both are very well made and should provide plenty of protection for the phone, especially if you spring for the Spigen (or similar) glass screen protector. The fit of these two are perfect for each other (of course). Note that if you buy from Spigen direct, they have 'deals' where you can order a case and a glass screen protector for a reduced cost. I wish I had known about this when I ordered mine!

The Slim Armor will provide more protection. It is also a little larger and heavier. The Neo Hybrid will also provide nearly as good protection and also adds to the size and weight. Both are attractive and you can swap out the hard plastic parts (ordered separately) with different colors if you are the type that needs to change their phone's look from time to time. Note that the Slim Armor goes on and comes off harder than the Neo Hybrid.

Of the two, I prefer that Neo Hybrid. I prefer the look and feel and slightly less size and weight. Truth be told, I prefer the phone naked, but after carrying it around a couple days naked again, I went back to the Neo Hybrid because I was paranoid.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of these cases. But for me the NH wins out over the SA.

YMMV.
    jetguat likes this.
  20. Bexy

Bexy Well-Known Member

I had ordered the slim armour but it wasn't in stock so I switched to the neo. Also not come into stock yet so I haven't had the chance to look at either. I do however have the slim armour for the iPhone 5,which made me think I may like the neo hybrid more. Seems the slim armour is more favourable though so may head onto eBay and find someone who has it in stock.