1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Nervous about ICS (walmart phone)

1. CrackBaby

CrackBaby Well-Known Member

I have the walmart t-mobile phone. I got a message saying they want me to update, I assume to ICS from gingerbread, but I'm reluctant to do this. I keep reading some bad reviews about how badly ICS runs on this phone, including some fast battery drains and stuff like that. Also, does foxfi work for those of you with ICS, unrooted? If anyone can confirm that battery power works fine and foxfi works fine on ICS, then I will upgrade. Thoughts, advice, welcome. :eek: :) :dancing2:

Advertisement
  2. surgerush

surgerush Well-Known Member

I got the Walmart phone as well about a week ago. I was upset when I started playing with the phone on GB, I expected so much more out of the phone. ICS is no comparison, its like a completely different phone, 100% better. This is all completely my opinion, but you're missing out if you stay with GB.
  3. CrackBaby

OK.
    I'm not 100% convinced, but thanks for the feedback.

Does textflow work well in a browser in ICS?
  4. Oldschoolwax

Oldschoolwax Well-Known Member

I had lots of problems, but I took it before it was pushed, hopefully everything will be fine now!
  5. CrackBaby

:) the ICS supports beam between the S2 and my N7. That's a pretty good incentive. Plus there's a paid app that's supposed to turn the S2 into a hotspot. I'll do the update today. Thanks y'all.
  6. CrackBaby

Never mind, I ran the update but nothing happened. No ICS here.
  7. jr2673

jr2673 Well-Known Member

maybe its your USB cord try a different one
  8. surgerush

surgerush Well-Known Member

You did the download through Kies?
  9. CrackBaby

No. I went to settings about and update.

Ok now I have USB in and the home kies screen set up. Now what do I do?
  10. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Do you see a screen like this telling you an update is available?

[​IMG]
  11. CrackBaby

Nope, I see a list of items that are on my phone such as photos, music, videos etc
    :confused:

ETA: and it's in a browser, for me. What you show looks like an actual computer application. Hmm where did I go wrong?
  12. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

You're using Kies on your computer and not Kies Air on your phone right?

Do you see a screen like that at all with the basic information tab?
  13. CrackBaby

I don't know....I'm using both at the same time. :confused:
    I have kies air open on the phone, and also on the PC.
    The PC is a browser and not a file program like what you showed in your picture
  14. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Ok, that's the problem. Close Kies Air.

Download Kies here and install on your PC. That's what you need to use.

Since you are still on Gingerbread, you will probably have to update to ICS 4.0.3 first and then to 4.0.4.

Or you can follow this guide to install 4.0.4.
  15. CrackBaby

Ahh didn't realize that there are two different kies programs. One for air and one for media. I'm downloading the media program right now and crossing fingers.
  16. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Yeah, Kies Air is mainly for transferring and backing up files over WiFi. :)
  17. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Were you able to update with Kies?
  18. CrackBaby

Yep! It worked like a charm! :)

My favorite thing about ICS, now that I've played with it, is the ability to use chrome browser.

However, yesterday afternoon I was disappointed when I realized the hotspot app didn't work. I decided to play with ICS for a little longer and then downgrade back to gingerbread this morning. But before downgrading, I tried the app one more time, and this time it worked. I think the phone needs to reboot before you can successfully use it. The app is SVTP Lite or SVTP. Free will work for two days so you can try it, then after that just five min at a time.

I've been using the Holo launcher but now that I'll be sticking with ICS, I may switch to Nova.

Thanks Atmazz and everyone else who helped! :)
  19. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

You're welcome. :)

Does mobile hotspot in settings not work?

If you haven't tried the Apex launcher you should check it too.
  20. CrackBaby

I don't know, I haven't tried the phone's own hotspot.

Apex! Yes, thanks for the recommendation. I had tried both apex and nova on the nexus 7 and couldn't recall which one I liked more. It's a shame neither can be used with gingerbread. I will try apex again.
  21. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

You might want to wait on Apex. Unless he has released another update. It seems the one this morning is locking up phones. I had to restore a backup and not update the app for it to work again.
    CrackBaby likes this.
  22. CrackBaby

Duly noted.
  23. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

It's been fixed now. :)