• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OfTheDamned

The Friendly Undead
Oct 29, 2009
Right Behind You
So, I am thinking about picking up a netbook. I will be using to watch movies, play poker and surf for the most part. I have an aircard that only has windows drivers and software so I can't, that I know of, use Ubuntu or Android.

I have been looking around at a few, mostly the Asus Eee Pc 1005Ha, but I wanted to know if any of you had good or bad experiences with a particular brand/model that I might also want to consider.

Thanks for the input.

I have an ASUS EeePC 1000HA, and I love it. If you don't expect too much from it you won't be let down. My friend has one of the newer ASUS EeePC's (mine is 1.5 years old now), and I think it is a 1005 of some sort and it runs well. Go for it.

Edit: If you can get one upgradable to 2 gigs of ram. It makes a world of difference for the like 20 dollars that it costs.

Upvote 0
I'm planning on getting one in the next few weeks.

I actually found a bunch of the Asus models on ebay with no OS installed, but with a license key selling for around $150. I called Asus a little bit ago and I can get the recovery disk for $30. I figure $180 isn't bad for a netbook that Best Buy is selling for $350, right?

Oh hell yeah, that's a steal.

Upvote 0
ive got the asus eee pc 1008HA with ubuntu netbook remix on it for open office/music/web browsing and its stupidly snappy. (35 seconds cold boot, shuts down in 5 secs)

unbuntu is just made for work related netbooks.

also plugging in my desire and using its nice fast 3G is pretty hot, no fiddling either just plug in and go =D

edit: it came with w7 starter, get the crap off it asap!!

Upvote 0
I have an Asus eee PC 1201n. It's got a dual core Atom (1.6GHz), 4GB of RAM, an ION graphics chip (nVidia 9400m), and a 12" screen with a full size keyboard. It's a nice little beast and can play a lot of games while still being small and light enough to carry around anywhere. I also have an eee PC 900A with a 16GB SSD and 2GB of RAM that runs Windows 7 Ultimate like it's nobody's business. When everyone says netbooks are slow, I laugh at the thought with these two.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones