Netbooks

Last Updated:

1. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member This Topic's Starter

So, I am thinking about picking up a netbook. I will be using to watch movies, play poker and surf for the most part. I have an aircard that only has windows drivers and software so I can't, that I know of, use Ubuntu or Android.

I have been looking around at a few, mostly the Asus Eee Pc 1005Ha, but I wanted to know if any of you had good or bad experiences with a particular brand/model that I might also want to consider.

Thanks for the input.

Advertisement
  2. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

I got my wife a netbook for Christmas -- it is an Asus eee PC (forget the model, but it was new as of Xmas). It does an OK job, but she finds it to be pretty slow even for web-browsing.

3. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

The Asus Eee is definitely the best netbook available at the moment. When are you looking to purchase?

4. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

I have a dell mini 10 with a 2gb upgraded ram... I love it

5. MuerteMan

MuerteMan Well-Known Member

I have an ASUS EeePC 1000HA, and I love it. If you don't expect too much from it you won't be let down. My friend has one of the newer ASUS EeePC's (mine is 1.5 years old now), and I think it is a 1005 of some sort and it runs well. Go for it.

Edit: If you can get one upgradable to 2 gigs of ram. It makes a world of difference for the like 20 dollars that it costs.

6. ballisticn8

ballisticn8 Well-Known Member

go to cnet for reviews on netbooks... also just an FYI, my buddy has a toshiba netbook that he loves, he dual boots it, windows for on the road with his air card and for the necessary evils of ms office for work files and ubuntu for quick booting at home wifi browsing.

7. OfTheDamned

I'm planning on getting one in the next few weeks.

I actually found a bunch of the Asus models on ebay with no OS installed, but with a license key selling for around $150. I called Asus a little bit ago and I can get the recovery disk for $30. I figure $180 isn't bad for a netbook that Best Buy is selling for $350, right?

8. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Oh hell yeah, that's a steal.

9. OfTheDamned

10. Eugene

Eugene Well-Known Member

We both have 900HA's here, 2G Ram, 500G Hdd models. Listed our laptops on craisglist as we never used them anymore since we got the netbooks. Wife dropped hers and shattered the screen and I got a replacement on ebay for $30.

11. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

Got the wife an Acer AspireOne last year - she loves the thing. Uses it for watching videos, surfing, playing cards online, etc. No complaints - the portability is nice.

12. Niir

Niir Well-Known Member

ive got the asus eee pc 1008HA with ubuntu netbook remix on it for open office/music/web browsing and its stupidly snappy. (35 seconds cold boot, shuts down in 5 secs)

unbuntu is just made for work related netbooks.

also plugging in my desire and using its nice fast 3G is pretty hot, no fiddling either just plug in and go =D

edit: it came with w7 starter, get the crap off it asap!!

13. Rota

Rota Well-Known Member

I have an Asus eee PC 1201n. It's got a dual core Atom (1.6GHz), 4GB of RAM, an ION graphics chip (nVidia 9400m), and a 12" screen with a full size keyboard. It's a nice little beast and can play a lot of games while still being small and light enough to carry around anywhere. I also have an eee PC 900A with a 16GB SSD and 2GB of RAM that runs Windows 7 Ultimate like it's nobody's business. When everyone says netbooks are slow, I laugh at the thought with these two.