1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix App: possible?

Last Updated:

1. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

would be nice to have

Advertisement
  2. Huey Freeman

Huey Freeman Well-Known Member

Instant on Android would be amazing..

3. mikeeh

mikeeh Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

4. dballz

dballz Well-Known Member

Yeah I know 3.5g is fast but to get that type of wireless download speed we would need to be on Sprints network holy crap that shit is fast

5. porquepine

porquepine Well-Known Member

Sprint is EVDO, which is 3G technology. You can be EVDO 1.5MB or EVDO 3MB, the question I have been unable to find an answer to is will Tmo be 3MB?

6. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Instant On would be neat, but I think they'd have to make it a WiFi-only deal, similar to the Amazon and Market Apps.

7. darkchocolate

darkchocolate New Member

So it doesn't do instant streaming, but damn near everything else. I just downloaded Queueman from the android market's Entertainment section and you guys may find it useful.

QueueMan - Netflix Management for Android
    QueueMan ? Trac

8. poor_red_neck

poor_red_neck Active Member

Actually there is no reason why you couldn't stream Netflix on a phone.

I can stream a movie from netflix on my PC at home where I only have roadrunner "light" which is 768kbps.... that's .7mbit.

My phone consistently pulls 1200-1800kbps... twice as fast as my home internet.

The quality isn't that bad at home, CERTAINLY wouldn't be bad on a 480X320 landscape screen resolution. Running at native resolution it would look very crisp. Would just take alot of buffering.

Go watch a youtube video that you know the source of is high quality on your phone. Change the quality setting to "high quality" if you have the newer youtube app. Look at how crisp that is... I can bare that :) If I've read correctly... youtube high quality streams H.264 at 864X480... when shrunk down to our screen size the result is beautiful :) and bandwidth happy too on a good 3G connection.

There's also an app out there called "Phoneflicks" that allows you to add movies to your queue... search movies, read reviews etc.

The windows mobile officially licensed Netflix app also showed movie trailers for the movies you would want to add to DVD or Instant Queue.

9. kcp481

kcp481 New Member

there is an app called PhonemyPC that is still in beta but it works great for messing with your pc on your phone, if you leave your computer on as long as its connected to wifi and signed in you can do anything on your computer from your phone. including stream netflix movies from your PC browser. now like i said its in beta so its only10$ right now and theres no sound yet but they say its comming soon and the company is very very good about keeping their word and replying to any emails you send to them with any questions or concerns about the app.

10. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

You do see how folks may be a little reluctant to use this as a Netflix solution, right?

11. brownhornet

brownhornet Well-Known Member

It would work well if they just converted the movies to mp4 before stream... im able to steam from atdhe.net and iphonemoviez on 3g without buffer pretty easily. I dont even have to use my 4g.

12. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

wow thread necro. on a related note I just tried to stream it through my phone seemed to be owrking fine until silverlight was needed :(

13. newbynew

newbynew New Member

I know the internet speed would not be the issue. I regularly watch streaming videos on my laptop while connected to the internet via tethering

14. jonE5

jonE5 Well-Known Member

where is it? IPHONE has had it forever, good lord, i might be going back to iphone if htey dont hurry up!

15. 12stringchap

12stringchap Active Member

By "Forever" you mean less than a month right. Because that's how long iPhone has had Netflix. Since August 26th, 2010. That was years ago.

16. redDKtie

redDKtie Member

My question is this. How does netflix make all these apps for all these different platforms? It takes time and money to develop an integrated program to stream movies. Someone's got to pay for it. So is netflix fronting the cost? Hoping that enough new subscriptions would come from it? Or is Google expected to pay netflix for development, hoping that a netflix app with sell more phones? If the latter is true. I feel like we'll be waiting much longer than we think.

17. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I wrote a comment about this a while back, and I noticed a key issue that you left out is that it only runs at about 3fps on the lowest quality :eek: so even with sound it would still be hard to watch through phonemypc b/c of how choppy it is.

18. brandonmg99

brandonmg99 Well-Known Member

i read in a forum somewhere that netflix has been working on an app for android to stream instantly. guess around the time the iphone got theirs someone saw an opening on their website looking for an android app dev

19. jonE5

jonE5 Well-Known Member

Still nothing and now windows mo 7 is going to have it.

WHY GOOGLE WHY!?!?

20. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member

Hey kids, kind of on-topic, is there a good app to manage your Netflix queue from your phone?

21. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

Yes there is a new one on Appbrain, came out like a month ago or so. I use Queman currently

22. Brian Rubin

Brian Rubin Well-Known Member

Um...got a name?

23. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

It has nothing to do with Google.

24. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member

25. Napalm

Napalm Well-Known Member