Netflix coming to Android?

Last Updated:

1. Jareth Cutestory

Jareth Cutestory Member This Topic's Starter

Netflix Targeting Android Next

I think this is great. Currently have the streaming service for my 360 and it's dynamite. If they decide to let the subscribers who already have it on another platform use it for Android too it would be even better. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. boomhower

boomhower Well-Known Member

I can't wait. With all the new titles available for streaming I am very excited.

3. navkat

navkat Member

I've been waiting for this, myself.

Ever since Netflix announced an opensource free-for-all to iPhone devs, I've been hoping Android wouldn't be too far behind.

Now, if Sprint would only get off their behinds and release an official Eclair (I'm not wiping my phone twice in one month for the leaked version and then the de-bugged version) I'll have Flash and about a dozen, little irritations will be a moot point. :)

4. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

i would never watch netflix on my phone it wouldnt look good streaming to it...not to mention how quick you battery would die.

what i would like is a app to mess with my instant queue?is there one already?

5. Qnz92Lude

Qnz92Lude Active Member

Yes download phone flicks works fairly well but can force close some times.

6. hempwallace

hempwallace Well-Known Member

I'm really not too interested in watching anything from Netflix on a 3" phone screen. Now an Android platform like the Notion Adam is an entirely different animal.

7. centauress

centauress Well-Known Member

Ahh, but this is exactly what you do! Write it so you can watch on ANY Android! That's exactly what Android was made for! Get it to work on any vanilla-phone, then sense-equipped phone and finally, on the target tablets.

I myself have an external 4400 mAh battery. I could watch a movie or two with it attached to my phone. As a plus, I'd get in trouble with a tablet that I don't get into with a PDA-phone.

8. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I don't even think our Hero would be able to support this. Nexus One, EVO, and some other android OS behemoths will probably support it and run flawlessly.

9. centauress

C'mon, guy. If you can stream to a Roku device, - which I have - Streaming to a Hero would actually be LESS of a hassle. Streaming video is just like streaming audio, just more data per second.

10. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

Our phone can barely support streaming Youtube videos so what in your mind would allow you to think that it would stream Netflix of all things.

11. centauress

It's not our phone that can't support it, it's the operating system. People on THIS FORUM have reported that YouTube works dandy on the cracked versions of 2.1.

And if you look at the guts of a Roku unit, it's even skimpier than a PALM, let alone an Android. So that's not a problem either.

The only thing that is putting a roadblock in this is the 1.5 OS. Get it to > 1.6 and that's suddenly gone.

12. navkat

navkat Member

Exactly.

If you cruise over to your netflix account right now via the phone's browser, the main thing that prevents you from using the browser viewer is the absence of Adobe Flash. Eclair (2.0, 2.1) is releasing with flash, so that shouldn't be an issue.

centauress likes this.
  13. lunatech

lunatech Active Member

Nope. I'm running fresh 2.0d (2.1 ROM) with the new flash and just checked netflix and it doesn't play.

14. centauress

So that means that Netflix will have to do their voodoo routine and sacrifice a few chickens to create a Android portal for us...

Hopefully quickly, at that. I got the goat bones if they need them...

15. anacrusis

anacrusis Active Member

Android will likely be the OS on the Asus Eee Pad. That would make perfect sense for Netflix to support Android devices.

16. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

I'd be interested on that too!!! lol Hulu should make an app for Android as well!!! :p

17. centauress

As I said above, PDA's are overlooked in my job; I'd love to be able to peep Netflix on my soon-to-be-bought EVO.

All 'dat and an HDMI output? Yeah, I'll be there...

18. marvinrock

marvinrock Well-Known Member

Any update on this netflix for android thing?

19. Schwin97

Schwin97 Well-Known Member

Even if it is a small screen, there are a ton of movies I watch just to listen to... (???) Fletch, Spies Like Us, Real Genius, just about any good comedy can be watched from a small screen because the dialog is what is important. I will be downloading the day it comes out...

20. GiftedPlacebo

GiftedPlacebo Well-Known Member

21. marvinrock

marvinrock Well-Known Member

I just want SOME sort of quality free video streaming service. I would accept piping it from my OWN computer, or a good website. I have Hulu and Netflix, and I just want good video on my phone.

I can't be the only person that wants this.

I've got streaming music working GREAT with subsonic, Pandora, A-OK radio (for shoutcast radio stations) but video, not so much.

22. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

Awesome, now I can be disappointed by Netflix's on-demand selection on the go, too!!! ;)

23. lv2bll

lv2bll Well-Known Member

This

From tapatalk, try it