• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Netflix work around

Re-TARDIS

Dec 24, 2010
I'm saddened by the recent post on the netflix blog regarding an official netflix app for android.
From what I understand it's something to do with being able to have a secure app, witch androids open source makes for a difficult task.
I suggest some type of windows emulator that can run the app used on the windows phones. Maybe use the nintendo wii netflix app on a game cube emulator?
Please someone make it possible :)

it's unlikely that today's phones have enough horse power to emulate a device streaming video. today's phones are barely fast enough to render video on their own.

netflix hasn't ever come out and said what exactly is holding them back. they blame android and say it's not secure enough but they provide no details.

what netflix and content producers would do good to understand is that if they don't provide reasonably priced solutions making content available on mobile (and other) devices, folks are just going to continue to steal it. they can spend 2 years ensuring that it's nearly impossible to hack their android netflix app, and consumers will spend those 2 years stealing the content in other ways.

all that is required of this hypothetical netflix android app is to stream video directly (never write it to storage) over an encrypted pipe. that's it. to hack it, to grab the unencrypted bits you either need to steal their certs or to be able to break into the memory space where the unencrypted bits are being used. in either case you need root on the phone ... okay, so android phones can be rooted but so can windows mobile devices, and so can iphones / ipods, as well as any computer of course, and we have netflix there.

without any further information, i'd have to say this is irrational fear of android and "open source" from the content providers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones