• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NetMeter - does this show some battery-related answers?

Spacemonkey

Sep 17, 2009
Downloaded this from the the Market this morning and have been having a play to see what it does.

First question it raises is in Menu > Help, where it says "Android does not allow applications to terminate other application processes - this is part of its security model. The Android framework itself manages processes and other OS resources transparently based on application demand. Terminating a process would simply result in it being restarted again if the application still requests it to run."

I'm wondering if this means that some apps appears to close down (either automatically or manually/forced) but actually restart, and therefore drain CPU/battery without the user knowing.

This might apply only to processes, in which case I could be talking rubbish - but thought I'd throw it out to you techie types that might know more.

Is also interesting to see CPU usage as low as 4-7% with the occasional spike, yet still have the battery going mental.

Anyone else having a play with this?

SM

Some apps/processes are necessary for the hero to work properly, e.g. Touch Input, Touchflo etc - these will get restarted automatically if you kill them.

I dont think this happens for 'normal' apps though. If you kill them they tend to stay dead. Widgets are a different matter however, think they get restarted if you navigate to the home page that theyre on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones