• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Network and mobile date connection problems in certain region..

Hi guys,

I bought my s4 a few weeks ago and i have the next problem and that is that when i'm in a certain region that i can't make phonecalls en have any data connection. And no it's not in a building or whatever but just in a specific city.

I can only make emergency calls but not more!!

Is it possible that has something to do with the 4G network?? And if yes how can i disable 4G because here in Belgium 4G is a new upcoming data network with a lot of work to do so it's not good at this moment.

But what i found weird is is that ok if it can't make a connection with 4G why can't i make phonecalls then?? What has one to do with the other?

I'm waiting for your responses!

Thank you,

But what i found weird is is that ok if it can't make a connection with 4G why can't i make phonecalls then?? What has one to do with the other?
Nothing, since phone calls are 2G. And you CAN make phone calls, but only emergency calls. Which points to a problem between your carrier and the one covering that area. I'd contact your carrier, and be very nice about it - at first. If their explanation is logical, and you can live with it, that's fine.

But if you get "lie of the day", demand to speak with a superior.

And if you have a contract that says that they will (not just "attempt to" provide you with service, demand compensation. Like a few months (or more than a few) free, or a nice new phone if yours is getting old. (I don't know how it works there, but breach of contract is legally actionable in the US, which is why no US cellphone carrier promises service, only "attempt at service".)

Upvote 0
We are having the same sort of problems in the UK where carriers are rushing to upgrade masts, (towers), to 4G and this can mean loss of signal periodically over the period of a month. You can change your settings on the International model, under Settings > Connection > More > Preferred network type... not too sure about the pathway as I am running Google Edition KitKat but it is something like that. There you can choose 4G, 3G or 2G. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones