Network issueSupport

Last Updated:

1. JEF81

JEF81 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is anyone else having an issue with their 3g/edge network not working? There have been several days where I wake up, check email on wi-fi, then head out and turn off wi-fi and then get no network signal. It shows bars but doesn't show the little 3g symbol with the arrows lighting up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. mnugent1

mnugent1 Member

I had the same issue. i bought the phone on saturday and it worked fine. Sunday morning i no longer had 3g, edge, or anything. I spoke to at&t customer service and they didnt know what to do. i went in to the store today, and they gave me a new sim card and that is working for now, but i fear it wont be for long. my brother had the same issue this weekend with his and he went and got a new sim card. the next day his quit working again. So i am crossing my fingers now.

3. Frenzy2223

Frenzy2223 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the same issue, but I'm in Maryland and the network has been slow or non existent since Sat. It's happening on my girls iPhone 3gs too.

4. mnugent1

mnugent1 Member

At the time when mine was still not working, i took the sim card out and put it in my old iphone 3g and it worked fine. i dont know what the deal is.

5. JEF81

Yeah I don't get it. When I turn the phone off and then on again it seems to resolve the problem and I usually get the network signal back. Pain in the ass to do - just hoping this isn't a consistent problem.

6. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

Are you using any third party 3G switching software? Disable it if you are.

7. mnugent1

mnugent1 Member

i dont have any 3rd party 3g switching software on mine. with mine, i could turn it on and off a hundred times and it never started working. i also reset the phone back to default a couple times and that didnt even work. if you look at phone status, mine said it was roaming and i am in an area with 3g coverage. the only way i could get the data network to come back on was to enable data roaming. i didnt want to leave data roaming on and have some sort of extra charge on my bill.

8. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member

MNUGENT1 - just call AT&T or go to their store. Your sim may be wrong, or net plan is not updated on your account.

9. proudsoonersfan

proudsoonersfan Member

10. mnugent1

mnugent1 Member

i did call at&t. they recommended that i go and get a new sim card which i did today. my phone is working at the moment.

11. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member

I had this happen to me today. Got to work and realized that there was no 3G connection. I figured at first that JuiceDefender was just warming up and it'd be there in a few, but no such luck. After resettting my phone, changing some setting in JuiceDefender, and seeing if there were any obvious changes, I called AT&T CS. After a good 20 mins of chatter, the rep told me to go to 'Access Point Names' under Wireless Settings, and I saw that instead of it saying "wap.cingular" it said 'wap.cingular_off'
    I did Menu->Reset to Default and rebooted my phone, and 3G was back.
    Gotta say, pretty weird for the issue to come up almost over 6 weeks after getting the phone... gotta be something from a program though, if it changed the APN...

cooperjl86 likes this.
  12. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Are you guys sure that your wifi is off? I think the phone will always use a wifi connection if its available even if it doesn't work right. I run into this case at my work, my phone will connect to the work wifi but after a few seconds it can't transmit up or down anymore. The wifi still says its connected through. At this point I have no internet connectivity because the phone will use the wifi instead of the 3g.

13. mnugent1

mnugent1 Member

Yes wifi was off on mine. it was very wierd because just left of the signal bars there was no 3g, edge, gprs, or anything.

14. JEF81

I also wasn't getting the 3G thingie next to the bars. Then later in the day I was getting that but the bars were going all over the place and the 3G thingie was there but I was still getting no connectivity.

This is getting reallly frustrating!

15. JEF81

So I chatted with a tech service rep at AT&T who fixed my prob. Basically, she said a rep mistakenly gave me an unlimited Blackberry plan and she switched me back to the Captivate plan. Very strange since I haven't been to an AT&T store since I bought the device over a month ago.

Update: sorry, but this didn't work. Went right back to not working after working for a minute...will chat with AT&T again.

16. rrrrramos

rrrrramos Well-Known Member

You both seem like you're experiencing the same thing I was. The AT&T rep I got on the phone pointed me somewhere I hadn't thought to look, but didn't really know how to go about fixing it. Try this out and see if it helps:

From the main screen go: Menu-> Settings->Wireless and network->Mobile networks->Access Point Names
    At this point, mine said "wap.cingular_off" but I don't know if yours will or not. From here, do this: Menu->Reset to default. Reboot your device.
    This fixed mine, hopefully will fix yours as well.

17. mnugent1

mnugent1 Member

Well once again my phone quit working again. i reluctantly went back to at&t and got rid of the phone.

18. RavenFox

RavenFox VIP Member VIP Member

Sad to hear this. Mine did this as well but only once. I think AT&T is doing something in the background we will never know of.

19. cooperjl86

cooperjl86 Member

This worked for me, had the same issue. Had my phone for exactly 6 weeks and just out of nowhere (for no particular reason), the wireless network shut itself off. However instead of wap.cingular_off, mine said wap.cingular[disabled]. Follow these steps and everything should work as usual. Really wierd...

Thanks man, cheers

20. wordgirl

wordgirl Active Member

hate to bounce this thread, but the same thing has happened to me - no 3g or Edge since Friday night on a 7-month-old phone recently upgraded to the stock Froyo, no custom ROMS ever on this phone. I have (obviously) tried turning it off and turning it back on ... Nada.

EDIT .... well, never mind then. While I was posting, my brother was messing with my phone and said "What's this 'Data Network Mode' thing you get when you push the righthand button?" Turns out ... I turned data off. So it's working now. *embarassed*

Was that there before Froyo? Please tell me it wasn't there before, so I can save a little face ....