• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Network Locked

iKUR3

Lurker
Sep 17, 2012
Hi I'm new to the forum this is my first post, well I bought an HTC Desire C off Amazon a few days ago. I'm from the UK and I use o2, I put my sim in and turned it on but I got a message saying 'Network Locked', I'm slightly baffled and confused about why it's locked. Also, I've was wandering whether rooting would help to solve the problem or would I just need to go to my local phone unlocker.

Hi
When you purchased the phone from amazon did it state unlocked
There are some tell-tale signs of a locked phone:
The phone packaging/box has your operator’s logo on
The phone itself is branded with the operator’s logo
You see your operator’s logo every time you turn on your phone
There are items relating to your operator in the main menu (e.g. Vodafone 360, Orange World)… although sometimes you’ll see the branding even on a phone which isn’t locked

Was the phone purchased from an overseas market

Foreign networks are treated as totally separate networks for the purposes of locking. This is true even if the foreign network shares it’s name with a UK counterpart… e.g. if you have a phone locked to 3 Hong Kong, Orange France, T-Mobile Germany, Vodafone Australia or so on, the phone won’t work on the British counterpart network.

Best I can do at moment suggest revisit amazon page or even contact them for sales advice....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones