Network music player app

1. jshailes

jshailes New Member

I'd like to get a low power pc (arm or atom) running linux and control the music that it plays through an android app, effectively becoming androids version of Logitech's Squeezebox. I'd prefer not to install X Windows on the box. Has anyone heard of such an app?

Advertisement
  2. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

Well there are dozens of android apps to control various media players (Winamp, iTunes, VLC, etc) that are on your PC remotely (3G or WiFi). Some of them offer incredibly robust control. Most require a little server side application that runs in the background on the PC. Unfortunately, the application is usually only for Windows. I'd imagine there has to be some for Linux as well though.
  3. jshailes

jshailes New Member

Hi Stupifier, thanks for your input. I've been searching the market for a while and have found that most of the remotes seem to be more of a navigational control too - they have up, down, left, right arrows, select buttons etc which all depend upon having a gui frontend. I'd really like a grooveshark-like interface for the audio on my own machine
  4. Stupifier

Ya, I hear ya. I'll tell ya what I do...but it is for windows.

I use Winamp on the PC and I use aWARemote. I found it to be one of the best interfaces out there and offers the best controls. Pretty cheap too.

aWARemote Pro for Winamp
  5. Bane

Bane Well-Known Member

If you have a Squeezebox I highly recommend the app Squeeze Commander. I use it with a Squeezebox Boom and it works great.
  6. Stupifier

What he said
  7. jshailes

jshailes New Member