• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Network sharing for Orange and Tmobile Customers

jplamb

Oct 8, 2009
UK
Orange and Tmobile customers can now switch between the 2 networks automatically after signing up. This follows the merge between the 2 networks and will give the customers of both networks better signal in different areas.

If you are on Orange or Tmobile you can now use either network. you need to sign up as they need to send you a sim update.

For Orange go to http://www.orange.co.uk/share

For Tmobile Go to Increase Your Mobile Network Coverage with T-Mobile & Orange

The full story can be seen at
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...Nd5S8fBZg&sig2=sUKArrZsoqd7Nw4a4d1vkw&cad=rja

Reactions: oOoMAJESTICoOo
'Your phone won't be able to pick up T-Mobile signal if it's set to 'manual network selection'. Check under 'network settings' in the main 'settings' section of your phone, and change it to 'automatic' if it's on 'manual'

If your phone is using T-Mobile signal, and you want to change back to use Orange signal instead, turning your phone off and on ought to do the trick.'

Where on my hTC desire can i check this setting as i cant seem to find it ?

Upvote 0
Open the settings menu, go to Wireless & networks > Mobile networks

Click Data roaming to allow you to use data on both networks (turn this off if you go abroad)

press 'network operators' and then select automatically and it will automatically switch between the 2

let me know if you have further issues. it will only switch when you have no signal with your provider but there is signal for the other network.

Reactions: oOoMAJESTICoOo
Upvote 0
when i goto the manual network selection it has orange t mobile as one network, i tried connecting just to see if it would register but it said my sim card is not able to register, ive set it all up and ive had texts from orange saying its been set up and i know it will work when set to automatically but just find it strange that i cant select it automatically

Upvote 0
The signal will always stay with your home network ie Orange and only move to T Mobile if that signal is completely lost.

You can always manually change to the other network and if you tell your phone to connect to the Tmobile network it will stay with Tmobile until it loses signal even if there is a stronger Orange signal.

They have said that some point next year the networks will work together and will always be on the same network, the switching will also happen when you are in a call to help you keep signal.

If you are not able to connect to the tmobile network then there is a problem with the registration and you should either try going through the registration (which has to be done for all sim cards on either network to enable them) or contact customer support who will check that the updates have gone through, You do normally have to reset the phone for it to take effect and enable 'Roaming' in your phone settings if you can.

JPL

Upvote 0
Hi
since getting a samsung apollo I cant seem to get my phone to stay with the orange tmobile signal. I have tried everything both manual and automatic settings and enabled data roaming. As soon as I switch the phone off it goes back to orange. This is really annoying as I get a really bad signal in my house. My other phone did it ok and my partners samsung toco lite seems to manage it. I have spoken to orange and basically told me to do everything I have already done. Do you guys have any ideas what the problem might be? many thanks. Amanda

Upvote 0
your phone will automatically connect to your main network, (The one you have a sim card for) different phones are better at remembering what network you prefer. If you go to networks and choose to select the network manually then it should remember it while the phone is turned on but this tends to reset when the phone is turned off. One way round this is to put your phone in to Airplane mode which will use little power and turn off the network settings. if i remember right then it will remember your preferred network.

I understand from Orange that they are making changes to the network settings some point this year where you will automatically get the network with the strongest signal. This was meant to be the beginning of this year but i would not hold my breath.

Sorry can not be any more help.

JPL

Reactions: amarchie
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones