• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Networking Office Documents

caprisport

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
Hi all, im a newbie here so forgive me if this has been answered. I couldnt find anything. What im trying to do is use my server at home (server 2003 r2) and store my office documents on it and use my android to open and edit them via wi fi. Now i can open them fine but they open as read only. Is there another way to do this so i can edit them? Ive tried a few different filr managera and cant do it.

The only thing i have found that works is dropbox but dont really want my documents being flirted via dropbox.

Any help would be great!

I think that might be the problem, using the file explorer first. I have gone into ES File Explorer, clicked the file on network computer (Server) and it says caching file to sd card, will open as read only. Thinking it was the file, that was generated in office on a pc, i tried making a new document in documents to go, and storing that remotely and get the same thing.

Whereas if i use Kingsoft, you can open the app then navigate to the network drive, whether it be google documents, or drop box. Think I might end up passwords protecting all my documents and folders, and using the drop box idea. It seems a simple fix though.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones