Never going to see flash player?

Last Updated:

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is the droid ever going to be able to see flash player? Adobe now states "not available for your device" when it used to say "coming soon".

I have a feeling that we are left to fend for ourselves.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm afraid you're right Homer. No Flash for us. :rolleyes:

3. mrempp

mrempp Active Member

there are videos of a guy from adobe using flash on a droid, i dont think we need to worry, just a mater of time

4. bluenik25

bluenik25 Well-Known Member

Is it me or does adobe seem to be the slowest company in the world when it comes to mobile devices? Is it the Wireless carriers fault?

5. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

I think once we get 2.1 it will say coming soon again. I still think we will see it in the first half of this year. I just don't understand why they ain't released a beta version yet.

6. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

It will come in time buddy...no worries

7. Blasek

Blasek Well-Known Member

8. messenger13

Ask the iPhone owners. They don't have Flash, and it appears they are never going to have Flash. We have to wait a few months and we whine like babies. C'mon guys ... a little patience here. :)

The providers have ZERO to do with Flash support.

9. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

10. yzingerr

I figured if the iphone doesnt have it yet, we never will.. damn there are only a billion iphones out there

11. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

iPhone never will have it. They screwed themself over with their last press conference calling out both Google and Adobe. Even though they were never on the list to get it anyway. We will get flash, and it will be in the first half of 2010 like they said. They already have it made, they are just working out all the little kinks in their programming.

12. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "never on the list". Adobe already has Flash ready for the I-Phone. Steve Jobs does not want it and has stated as much. That is why it has never been released...

On another note, thanks for the Olympics Ustream link...That will come in handy for sure...

13. mhome

mhome Well-Known Member

If flash requires 2.1 then providers do have something to do with it.

14. messenger13

That's kinda reverse thinking, isn't it? The 2.1 "requirement" is being placed by Adobe, not Verizon/Motorola/Google. If Adobe wanted it to work in 2.0.1, it would happen*. (see note) The whole thing is in Adobe's hands. I don't understand why so many people are trying to blur these lines. Flash support is all about Adobe. And I especially had a chuckle when the OP said, "I have a feeling that we are left to fend for ourselves.". :D What a hoot! Nobody, I repeat N.O.B.O.D.Y. can release an app that simulates Flash support. If they do, they better have better lawyers than Adobe does.

*Note: And you heard it here first ... I bet once we have the 'official' 2.1 release AND Flash support, that I can revert back to 2.0.1 and Flash 10.1 will work. Call it a hunch. ;) This hesitation to release Flash support to Android is more about business (read: "Apple!"), and not about Flash 10.1 being ready for implementation.

15. skunkpbguy

skunkpbguy Well-Known Member

16. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Well why don't you go an program a incredibly lightweight vector graphic rending engine for a tiny slow processor with full scripting support, streaming video and steaming audio as well as a security sandbox. Not to mention multiple anti-aliasing modes for fonts, font embeding, mutiple join modes for the vectors, XML support, and the 100 other features too many to list here.

I find it very frustrating to hear people whine like this. The Flash player is no simple piece of software.

If I know Adobe, they always deliver on their promises. Sometimes it takes them longer than they think, but make no mistake, Flash is coming.

17. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Its not the carriers' responsibility...Flash support avail. on my "unlocked phone" for several months now:

[​IMG]

18. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

My question is this:

According to published features, one of the things Bugless Beast does is disable OTA updates. If this is so, will Flash 10.1 still load onto my Droid? Or did all us modders just screw ourselves out of Flash when it DOES come out?

Just wondering...

19. alostpacket

Rooters/modders will be fine. If it actually requires an OS update the ROM community will pull it apart in most likely less than a week so they can incorporate it into their builds.

If it's just an apk from Adobe, it wont matter.

But this is the life of a rooter, the trade off you make is that it may take a few days more to get any official updates than the non-rooters do. So you should get used to this idea. Especially because the benefits of being rooted (over clocking, unofficial apps from newer version of Android) and whatnot far out weigh waiting a week more for official updates.

In fact it's entirely possible the rooters will get their hands on Flash BEFORE the general population.

20. alostpacket

Holy hell i hate you and your 6.35 down :)

Curious though, the flash player for the N900 is just the normal Linux player running in Firefox, right? Not something officially supported by Adobe yet?

21. colnago

T-Mobile's 7.2Mb down/2Mb up ($10/mo.) network is live in many 3G areas (not my house yet but not far from my dad's).

Flash 9.4 works in both the 900's default browser and Firefox Mobile browser. Firefox runs a little slow in general though, not just for Flash sites. Default browser runs and runs full Flash sites just fine...except where 10.1 is reuired.

22. alostpacket

That's awesome. Yeah I have heard tmo is great in NYC. And if I weren't such a android fanboy the n900 would be my next choice. Anyway you should post that pic in my speed thread and make us all look bad. :)

23. colnago

Meh, its not "my" speedtest result...I have to go to downtown DC to get those speeds. The 900 is missing a few "bells and whistles"..not an issue for me, but I am having some reception issues "inside buildings" now, not unlike the Droid. Kinda sux because I was able to stream internet radio feed on trip from DC to Philly, and only dropped connection once. I'm hanging around here because I may switch back w/a Milestone....I fear Maemo may never get "sling support", but someone has Android running on a 900. Along w/ Win95/NT 4.0....crazy.

24. yzingerr

25. potatolover1102

potatolover1102 Well-Known Member

That article doesn't even know what it is talking about. That has nothing to do with flash on phones. It has to do with desktops. I downloaded it yesterday and it is awesome. But you can see in the quoted engadget passage that it says it works on different graphics cards lol.