New 8 gig SD card reads as 1.7 gig

1. AndroidOre

AndroidOre Member

Hi.
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I had a 2 gig sd card and put an 8 gig into it and formated it using the android OS and it says I have 7.4 gigs but all of my external PC device managers like ******** say I only have 1.7 gigs and it won't let me put more then 1.7 gigs onto it.

What gives?
    It's a Samsung Galaxy W

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Hey AndroidOre
    I have never faced some problem like this on any of my android devices and SD cards. If this problem appears while connecting the storage card by removing it from the phone then try connecting your smart phone to computer through data cord and connect as storage media. And check what capacity your system shows for you device.
  3. AndroidOre

AndroidOre Member

Yeah on my computer devices it says I have 7.4 gigs and on my samsung it says the sd card has 7.4 gigs. but usb storage space says 1.7 gigs. And thats all my pc managers say I have and it won't let me download more the 1.7 gigs.
  4. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

You bought a phony card online. Return it. Buy a name brand from a trusted source. This happens frequently here.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Go to Settings>Storage then show us a screenshot. I'm thinking you are confusing USB storage space with another partition but I could be mistaken. To get a screenshot on the SIII, press the home and power keys at the same time.
  6. AndroidOre

AndroidOre Member

Nevermind fixed it.
    Had to.
    Swap (remap) Internal SD with External SD. To do this you need to replace (or manually edit) /etc/vold.fstab with attached one.

Now I just gotta work on getting my gps tweaked good and proper, do you guys have any hints
  7. AndroidOre

AndroidOre Member

Now I just gotta work on getting my gps tweaked good and proper, do you guys have any hints / apps. Is it possible to use google maps close up like on an iPhone?
  8. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

You're begging for a brick..I really hope you have some experience and aren't just poking around.
    Russ71 likes this.
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Yep. You're begging for a brick. You don't need to do those things just to have your SD card detected. It should have been detected by simply inserting it normally.

Close up Google Maps? Sure. Zoom in.