New and begging for help!Support

Last Updated:

1. hurley27

hurley27 Member This Topic's Starter

hi, i am really thinking i messed up my very first and new andriod phone, samsung vibrant trying to root can anyone help? Actually it hasn't crashed yet, but wish there was an undo button, cause i think my phone is rooted but i can not not for the life of me figure it out all i wanted to do was delete some stupid apps that came on my phone. via t-mobile, which i see alot of people do, but i am way too confused. I thought I could root and that superuser permissons app would magicly do it but guess not, anybody have some spare time to explain it to me? please, pretty please!

Advertisement
  2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Welcome to the Android Forums! I'll move your post over to the Samsung Vibrant forum and someone there should be able to assist you.

TuesdayClub likes this.
  3. TuesdayClub

TuesdayClub Well-Known Member

First--Which root method did you use?

Second--Super User is a base...you can find many other file apps that are easier to use when removing/backing up/re-installing (RootExplorer/TitaniumBackup/etc.).

Third--Look into Roms...they usually come with out pre-installed bloat-ware.

Overall...How much do you know? Why did you root? What are your goals with this phone? What resources do/did you use? We can help, but we need a lil more information. :)

4. hurley27

Thanks for the reply! first off, i clearly don't know that much. What i was trying to do was remove those apps that came preinstalled on my tmobile phone... as i searched online i came across tons of post regarding rooting, I was under impression "you root then you can delete them, that's it's a great idea to speed you phone too". i was online till 5am, thank you for not being rude, i obviously should not have tried to root. Do you think it would be eaier to unroot, try to finish or just leave it alone????

5. hurley27

oh, also i have titanium backup installed... i used one method that i didn't think worked from hackers-then then i did the root from unlockr.com...... I think i might understand, find ROM online & save to zip file, plug in phone & usb mount, move file to internal memory and then reboot and choose install new packages????? am i even close? this is where i really don't want to mess it all up. do you know a good place to find the rom?

6. TuesdayClub

TuesdayClub Well-Known Member

Do you have Rom Manager installed?

7. hurley27

Hi again, as per previous instructions i tried to follow yes i have Rom Manager by clockworkMod2.5.0.4. I tried to find ROM at xdz developers but the link is no longer usueable due to bandwith usage, that link was posted on the unlockr.com instructions and video walkthru. i am scared and don't want to upload ROM that is wrong or not what i am expecting. Like i said, i was was confused on how easy this would be just to remove that bloatware. (for me anyway, obviously)

8. MrsSmartyPants

MrsSmartyPants Active Member

Removing the bloatware is pretty simple using Titanium Backup.
    1. Open Titanium Backup
    2. Click on the "Backup/Restore" tab on the top (middle tab)
    3. Go thru your list and click on the app you want to delete.
    4. Window will pop up with 4 options - click on UN-INSTALL
    5. you're done.

CAVEAT: Be very careful what apps you delete because some have critical files in them that can end up bricking your phone.

FYI Here's a short list of what I deleted without any issues :
    Avatar, GoGo, Daily Brief, Kindle, MobiTV, Slacker Radio, Telenav, Amazon MP3
    (I can't think of any more, sorry)

hurley27 likes this.
  9. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

MrsSmartyPants likes this.
  10. hurley27

hi, thanks for the post, that looks simple enough. but when i click restore/backup, i don't see list of apps. the main screen does says......

*root access=>ok-
    *Hypershell=>NO
    *Fast/autoapp install =>NO(hypershell needed)
    *SQlite=>Yes.

is this normal? am i still mising something,lol, probably! thanks and look forward to your reply.

Nevermind, I uninstalled app and reinstalled and working perfect! think i had denied super user permission or somthing the first time around.... thank you thank you thank you.... i am a very happy unstressed girl now! WOO-HOO!