New and now want to understand mail

Last Updated:

1. machei

machei Active Member This Topic's Starter

Oct 29, 2009

Well Telus came through for us Canucks and I finally have my hands on a Hero. Yay!

A few hours in, I'm overwhelmed in spite of my exhaustive research prior to getting it. I have a couple questions, which I hope someone can answer or point me to a good place. I did do a search of the forums (solved my contacts issues-yay!) but some remain unanswered.

First up is a two fold question based around having two apps because both Android and HTC Sense have their own.

I don't really care which mail app I use, but I wanted whichever one will do true push from Google mail. I also want to make sure that the other one doesn't start then, so my battery is preserved.

Similarly, I downloaded Handcent for SMS because I read that was wise to do. Turned off everything to do with the regular application. I hope that it now will do nothing. Again though, I'm wondering how to keep it from starting, or how I know if it has. Other thing is, does Handcent SMS link up with people so it comes over in the same consolidated way by contact?

Finally, I've found that weirdly, some Facebook contacts, while I can link from a contact, do not pull over the photo. Any idea why? It seems totally arbitrary.

So far, OK... will give more impressions when I have them. :)

Thank you in advance to anyone who can offer thoughts.

2. rizzla

rizzla Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    1. Google mail is for, well google mail and its true push email, within a minute after its sent its there.

2. Mail is where you setup your other mail accounts.

3. not totally sure but from observations sms sent to you from the person will appear in their contacts. I think handcent just watches for sms messages that comes in and processes them, they both share the same info. So totally turning off messages from the stock sms app may effect it or handcent may send and read message from a designate place where all apps can pull sms's from. Honestly not tried it, i just drop the message icon in the remove bin and deselected notifications from that app.

4. try finding the person in people. clicking on their name selecting updates and events, select menu and the select update profile info. You should have a window come up where you can select to use pictures or birthdays from facebook