• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New android devices?

I thought the Desire went through FCC in late 2009 under a different codename... At least that's what somebody posted on androidforums in a different thread. However, a quick Google search has come up with a big fat zero. Part of the problem is that just a few months ago there was all kinds of confusion regarding the HTC Bravo/NexusOne/Incredible, with names and frequencies being mixed and matched (understandable as they're all essentially the same phone on the inside).

Interesting side-node, an AT&T friendly Legend DID pass the FCC.

The big question here is, what could AT&T possibly offer that fits this description (before June 30th): "An HTC smartphone, based on the Android platform, and an AT&T exclusive."

The simple fact of the matter is AT&T promised 5 phones to be "launched" in the first half of 2010. They're running out of time. (That being said, the Aero was "launched" in March and there's still no word on when it will actually be available.)

It might have gone through that way or since very similar phones have made their way through it could just be a rubber stamp to get it.
The Samsung has passed FCC so that is the third one to pass the FCC or maybe the 4th if right about the Desire passing under a different code name.

But I am with you they said 5 in first half of the year. And that was in Jan so they needed to adverage 1 a month from that point on. And they missed Feb but hit March. We are almost half way through April without an announcement for this month. So they will either not make it, which is what I suspect, or May and June will be very busy months for new android phones for AT&T giving us 2 a month in those months.

As to what they can offer from HTC there is nothing I have seen short of the Desire unless there is some rework that is not on Snapdragon. Which would mean another middle of the road andriod for AT&T and 1 top of the line being the Samsung, if true. Sadly I will not get a cutting edge Samsung device due to past experence on support even if it was not a phone.

Upvote 0
Well I would hope you are right on the May/June and it being the Desire next. But consier there have been no postings about a FCC registering for this phone and the Aero has already gone through and they have announced it just not given a date yet.

All I know is that AT&T needs to get busy on gettting a higher end android phone out. VZ has the Increadible coming on the 29th.

Yeah, it seems I'm wrong. I haven't cared enough about the Aero to truly research it. It seems the Aero will definitely be next. After that I'm guessing the Desire.

maerlim said:
I thought the Desire went through FCC in late 2009 under a different codename... At least that's what somebody posted on androidforums in a different thread. However, a quick Google search has come up with a big fat zero. Part of the problem is that just a few months ago there was all kinds of confusion regarding the HTC Bravo/NexusOne/Incredible, with names and frequencies being mixed and matched (understandable as they're all essentially the same phone on the inside).

Interesting side-node, an AT&T friendly Legend DID pass the FCC.

The big question here is, what could AT&T possibly offer that fits this description (before June 30th): "An HTC smartphone, based on the Android platform, and an AT&T exclusive."

The simple fact of the matter is AT&T promised 5 phones to be "launched" in the first half of 2010. They're running out of time. (That being said, the Aero was "launched" in March and there's still no word on when it will actually be available.)

I think the FCC record you're thinking of for the Desire is the Nexus One. It passed quite a while ago.

As for the Legend, I haven't heard anything about it passing FCC for AT&T. Have a link to that? Last I had heard it was believed that Sprint was getting the Legend.

Upvote 0
My info on the Legend comes from here and here.

That's old info and the 2nd one has actually corrected itself saying:

"The phone was tested on GSM 850/1900 which is completely different than W-CDMA. Both AT&T and T-Mobile utilize a GSM network for voice."

Now that I think about it I do recall thinking the Legend was going to AT&T quite a while back but then BGR came out and said it was heading to Sprint. Guess all we can really do is wait and see what happens. Really, I'm just hoping AT&T gets a 2.1 Android device soon. And one with a more powerful CPU at that.

Upvote 0
Right. 850/1900 is AT&T.

I definitely agree with you about waiting. I kind of feel like I'm watching a sporting event and the other team is up by 2. I just feel like AT&T really has to get in the game and answer some of these big announcements from Verizon (Incredible) and Sprint (EVO), and soon, before time runs out. I guess they're saving the Galaxy S for the big finish, but will it be too late then?

Upvote 0
Right. 850/1900 is AT&T.

I definitely agree with you about waiting. I kind of feel like I'm watching a sporting event and the other team is up by 2. I just feel like AT&T really has to get in the game and answer some of these big announcements from Verizon (Incredible) and Sprint (EVO), and soon, before time runs out. I guess they're saving the Galaxy S for the big finish, but will it be too late then?

After doing a bit of digging I found that T-Mobile is also 850/1900 GSM. The only 3G reference I can find is it features dualband UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA at 900/2100 MHz. Considering T-Mobile is 1700/2100 and AT&T is 850/1900 it doesn't seem to fit either.

Upvote 0
They didn't miss February. They "launched" the Backflip in February. It was available in early March, but "launched" in Feb. The Aero was "launched" in March. I'm really hoping the next phone gets "launched" in April. :)

So you want to give them credit for making an announcement that has no release date and saying they launched a phone? Sorry but I will not give them credit for it until they have a set at least a release date. And even then I will not say they have said phone until it streets.

Upvote 0
Whether there is a release date or any date at all, they have (by I'm sure only their definition) "launched" the phone. That's why I keep putting quotes around the word. Imagine me doing the Doctor Evil air quotes every time I type the word. :D They've only committed to "launch"ing 5 phones by first half 2010. No commitment about availability.

Upvote 0
Whether there is a release date or any date at all, they have (by I'm sure only their definition) "launched" the phone. That's why I keep putting quotes around the word. Imagine me doing the Doctor Evil air quotes every time I type the word. :D They've only committed to "launch"ing 5 phones by first half 2010. No commitment about availability.

Well lets hold them to the use of the word as the biggest competitor uses it.
[EXCLUSIVE] Droid Incredible Pre-Order Begins April 19th! | Android Phone Fans

Notice they say "will launch on all channels on april 29th."

And I agree they were/are trying to play games with terms.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The problem is as soon as there is a real Android announcement there may be people who don't buy the Iphone....so that is why, I believe, they are holding off until the last moment.

If they still did not offer a subsidy on the Iphone it might make sense. But since they now do and require data plans on all smartphones. They make the same amount of money either way. And I would suspect they might actually make more off selling a non Iphone because of how Apple is.

Upvote 0
Galaxy S would be nice. And though they said 'exclusve' htc phone. Perhaps they meant exclusive to the US or even exclusive in color desire who knows. AT&T is playing a very tight game and there is a reason they are being tight lipped.

Regardless of them making 'more' off an android phone they are still in apples pocket. They did get the exclusive on the ipad yknow. So we'll see. The Galaxy S or Desire would be fine phones their offering so far has been substandard and if July rolls around and they are still piddling I guess I'll go the get an Iphone 3 (4 perhaps?) sell it on ebay and buy a nexus one.

Upvote 0
Yeah< AT&T is always jerking people around for ages before anything drops. BGR had one at one of the trade shows with AT&T badges on it. the iphone is leaving soon so they should be looking to the Android market to fill the void. seems to me Android is the new standard to be , so they should jump on board. my concern is their habit of messing with the phones to their standards.

Upvote 0
They said that Dell's first Android-based smart phone would also be an AT&T exclusive. Since we know that's the Mini-3 (AKA the Aero)... Isn't that phone out in China? They probably mean US exclusive.

By the way, I re-read the press release. I've been quoting it wrong as saying they'd "launch" the phones in the first half of the year. In fact it says the phone would be AVAILABLE by the first half of the year. The plot thickens. I still have no idea which HTC phone will be the exclusive but with US Cellular's announcement of the Desire, it sure looks like it'll be the Legend.

Upvote 0
They said that Dell's first Android-based smart phone would also be an AT&T exclusive. Since we know that's the Mini-3 (AKA the Aero)... Isn't that phone out in China? They probably mean US exclusive.

By the way, I re-read the press release. I've been quoting it wrong as saying they'd "launch" the phones in the first half of the year. In fact it says the phone would be AVAILABLE by the first half of the year. The plot thickens. I still have no idea which HTC phone will be the exclusive but with US Cellular's announcement of the Desire, it sure looks like it'll be the Legend.

And if that is the case that would be another low to mid lvl android phone. And leaving only the galaxy s as a higher end device. Which would really suck hard.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones