new android phone and tablet

Last Updated:

1. oxomcfc

oxomcfc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,i have had a htc hero for 18 months now and its the best phone i have ever had.the thing is my contract is up tmobile uk and i have ordered an iphone 4 the only reason is there is no new android phone out there but it comes in the morning and im really not happy with my descion so sending straight back with royal mail.is there any news on a new android phone coming to the uk and also for work i wanted an ipad 3g but is there any news on a google tablet.really want to stay on the android system but struggling with choice.thanks

Advertisement
  2. BTPH

BTPH New Member

i dunno about new android phones but there are definately lots of tablets out there, i bought one off ebay a week ago for less than $100AUD, its pretty good albeit a bit slow and buggy, if you search "android tablet" "apad" "iped" or even android 1.9 (for the cheapo ones),

if you want something a little better the one you can try searching "android 2.1" (or 2.2) and GPS, for about $300-$400Aud you can get a pretty great one without all the bugs that come in the cheaper ones (i assume...), these ones also usually come with built in gps, dualcore processor, bluetooth, etc. so if youre really looking to invest id suggest the android 2.1+, but if you just want it to read ebooks and basic websurfing the $100 ones cant go wrong.

ive also found an android iphone knockoff for $60 (30 + 30 postage) with a flip out qwerty keyboard running android....

either way you go your still getting a great product without giving any money to apple... living the dream

3. micstewart

micstewart Well-Known Member

Android v Iphone - depends what you want.

My wife has had every iPhone since day one and loves them, I would never suggest moving her away from them. Incredibly stable, mature app market, loads of peripherals. Some might not like Apple, and the media really went to town on them recently with the latest handset but bottom line is it does what it says on the tin.

I however am an Android fan. Basically, I like to tinker and not be tied into a single supplier. I put up with the occasional glitch for this luxury. Would I make the same choice again, absolutely... totally love my Samsung Galaxy S despite it's "features"

One thing I don't understand is why you say that there aren't any new Android phones coming out. There seems to be new 'top of the line' devices launced practically every week (have you seen the new HTC line up)

With regard to the Ipad - a word of caution. We recently purchased an iPad with the thought of using it to replace a laptop for work, and to be frank, it just isn't up to the job. Absolutely everything from a work perspective is a hassle, transferring files, printing, editing, cost of applications!!!(you never get free ipad apps and remember they are all from one source!) I fully understand that there are ways to carry out all of the above, however, they just aren't all joined up.

What the ipad excels at is web browsing, e-books, social networking, media streaming (i.e. web tv) anything where you are consuming information rather than trying to create it. Battery life is also really good, considering practically everything that it is useful for involves WIFI or 3G.

Don't be under any illusions. An ipad is simply a big iphone that you can't make calls with (ok I know you can but it's another workaround ;)

4. oxomcfc

oxomcfc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

thanks for the replys,i sent the iphone 4 back with royal mail today and i have just seen the new htc desire hd being launched next month looks awesome.
    as for the ipad in my line of work i need to get on an internet site where my customers database is,it works brilliant on my hero but is to small when im at the customers door.i have also seen on the web htc are planning a google tablet to rival the ipad i know it will be better because of the way htc build there phones.so im really excited about this just gonna have to wait till next year but it will be worth it.cheers guys

5. micstewart

micstewart Well-Known Member

OX,

If the iPad or Tablet is for accessing a particular database, be sure to try before you buy, remember that all web browsers are not the same.

I forgot to comment on the Android tablet market in my post earlier (too busy panning the Ipad)

The Android tablet market right now is in its infancy, with new products being announced every day on the tech blogs. The biggest problem with a lot of the low end products are that they are running older versions of Android with no access, and more importantly no planned upgrade to allow access to the market place. It's very fragmented and there doesn't seem like there's much available in the middle ground, i.e. it's either around the