• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Android update from HTC/AT&T 7/9/2010

So, we've always been able to install 3rd party android software? I thought that function was originally locked out? Like I said, I'm new to this. Maybe it's not that big a deal. I'll still wait to see how this update functions.

well they TRIED to lock out 3rd party apps... but we got a workaround for that pretty quick ;)

HTC sync is for syncing contacts/calender I think. Not sure though since i dont really use it

Upvote 0
Update: We got downright excited for a second there, but an HTC spokesman just called to inform us there's been a mistake -- this download is only for the desktop HTC Sync client and doesn't actually enable anything on the phone. We're working to get more information right now, but it sounds like the sideloading ball is still squarely in AT&T's court.

Update 2: HTC apologizes for the confusion, saying the update description was in error -- it was merely supposed to read that the Aria now works with the company's desktop sync client. On Monday, the text will be updated to remove every last ounce of false hope.

Upvote 0
You can use this htc synch to install 3rd party apps. At least it worked for me instead of doing the sdk and using DOS adb installation on XDA...

Just open the HTC synch, You will see an application button, hit it, then an open box will open, You will need to make sure you copied the 3rd party app to where the path is showing, I am sure you can search where ever you downloaded it too, I just didn't try it. But select your 3rd party app, hit open, and it will install it, hit done and bam it's on the device installed. I know that is alot of instructions, but once you download and see the application button, hit it, I am sure you will see how easy it is to install using this HTC synch instead.

Upvote 0
You can use this htc synch to install 3rd party apps. At least it worked for me instead of doing the sdk and using DOS adb installation on XDA...

Just open the HTC synch, You will see an application button, hit it, then an open box will open, You will need to make sure you copied the 3rd party app to where the path is showing, I am sure you can search where ever you downloaded it too, I just didn't try it. But select your 3rd party app, hit open, and it will install it, hit done and bam it's on the device installed. I know that is alot of instructions, but once you download and see the application button, hit it, I am sure you will see how easy it is to install using this HTC synch instead.

Ok I just downloaded swype from xda for aria and yea it works. Also you can use the windows open dialog box to where ever you download your file to your computer hook up htc synch, hit application installer find your .apk file open it hit done and bam its installed, no sdk or dos prompts involved.. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones