New Android user, help please! (Battery)

Last Updated:

1. tenchu77491

tenchu77491 Member This Topic's Starter

This question has been asked a million times, and believe me I have read and read the replies on various websites and blogs. I am new to Android and most 'smart phones' but I am not computer illiterate. I have attempted to remedy the problem myself, but I must not be doing something correct. My battery situation hasn't improved too much. Here is my situation!

I am using the LG KH5200. LINK

I have not found much concerning this phone. That may be because the phone is rather new (one or two months old since release). I have found info about the LG Eve (it's considered a similar model, and maybe even a brother or sister phone).

I don't want to sound too picky, but please try to read through my setup before replying with advice like 'try a task manager.' I am grateful for all advice, but please try to read through-- I understand it's a mess and not easy to read through. If you can read through it, I believe you can provide much better advice!

I live and work in Korea. I am using it in Korea on the KT network. My phone setup:

Is messaging a potential battery killer? I read 1.5 had a kind of memory or battery leak on messaging.

My usual day: I charge my phone while I sleep. I wake up and unplug it at 6:30. I shower and do my morning stuff. I only send a message or two, or call my significant other for a minute or two. I relax until about 10:30. Then I leave home and I use my headphones and my default music player. I listen to music and do a little gmail, facebook for about 5 minutes. I keep listening to music until about 12. I may skim the market for apps, but nothing much. I may also send a few texts. I always end tasks when I am done using them, and advanced task cleaner kills all running apps (except music, alarm and messaging) when my screen times out (30 seconds). I use 0% brightness the whole morning. When I arrive at work (at 12), my battery is usually around 87% or less.

Is it just me or is that obsessive battery use with only minimal phone use? My phone itself seems to get drained even if I don't listen to music. It will usually drop 10% or so even without listening to music. Spare Parts doesn't display any strange battery drain.

There you go-- ask any questions you have, and provide any tips you may have. Thanks a lot for reading!

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

First thing I would check is your "Up time" against your "Awake time". Not sure of your menus but on my Desire is Menu -> Settings -> About Phone -> Battery. Your Awake Time should be a LOT lower than your Up Time. If they are close or the same then something is preventing the phone from going into a sleep state when you're not using it.

tenchu77491 likes this.
  3. tenchu77491

I just checked, and it says:

Uptime: 22 hours
    Awake Time: Not Available

Is there any reason it would be unavailable?

PS, I unplugged my phone from charging at 100% before I posted this message, and the phone is already at 99%. I didn't use it at all within the last 3 hours, and it dropped a percent after an hour of sitting there idle with the screen off.

4. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

First off, even sat there "doing nothing", it's going to lose battery. It still has to run the Android system, keep the phone ready for calls, texts, etc. Unless you have actually powered it off.

Secondly, I've never seen "Awake time: Not Available". Only thing I can imagine is that you've not had the phone doing enough since last charging/booting for it to have any statistics. You need to use the phone as normal all day and then check that up -v- awake time.

If you find they are the same, or close to it, the Spare Parts will help you to find the app that is keeping the phone awake. In Spare Parts got to Battery History then in the top selector, pick Partial Wake Usage and that will list out what apps have been keeping the phone awake. My guess is that your MSN app may well be top of that list.

5. tenchu77491

Thanks, everything is working fairly well but my awake time is still, 'not available.' Does anyone know why this would be?