New Android user (HTC One X) - email notificationSupport

1. lozfitzuk

lozfitzuk New Member

Hi,

I have just changed from an iPhone 4s to a HTC One X.

I am getting to grips with the new feel and look of an android phone, but one thing I am struggling with is email and text message notifications.

On the iPhone a notification message appears on the screen displaying the text message or email, meaning if the phone is on silent you are still prompted.

Is there a way to do this on the HTC One X

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. NikkiC

NikkiC Well-Known Member

I use an app called GOSMS which adds a notification and shortcut to the home screen when you receive a message. Try that one.
  3. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Your notification bar will always display an email, miss call or text message.
  4. coos lick

coos lick Well-Known Member

Just checking - I'm assuming you know if you swipe down on the notification bar (the black bar at the top with the clock in it) then another screen will slide down with your notifications on it?
  5. lozfitzuk

lozfitzuk New Member

Yes I was aware if this, but I'm trying to find an app that will prompt me, ie a message appearing on the lock screen when a new message had arrived. With the notification bar I have to slide it down to check, or have I missed something.

My scenario would be I'm at work and my phone is on silent, without unlocking the phone is there a way to be notified of new messages?
  6. coos lick

coos lick Well-Known Member

Ok - number of options.

Your led light should flash when you get a message, but you need to switch the phone on to see what it is.

You could use 'sms popup' I think this wakes your screen for a text.

There are a number of third party apps you can use - go sms as mentioned above, but this will act as a replacement for your stock sms app. Many people prefer these - lots of options to theme and customise settings.

You can check your settings for your sms and mail apps and set your phone to vibrate for an incoming message.

There are also apps such as Tasker - which you can use to control your phone more. Essentially you set it to trigger an action when an event occurs. Not used it myself, but it is popular and offers lots (and lots!) of options.

Welcome to Android!
  7. cj136uk

cj136uk Member

Yes! You can personalise your lock screen in settings to display all incoming emails texts etc. No third party app required
  8. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Message app > drop down > Settings > Received Notification.
  9. Jammin72

Jammin72 Member

Here's the HUGE problem I've run into switching from the iPhone 4. My telephone number is in the Apple system as being iMessage enabled. Anyone that has been texting me using that system was unable to send me messages because even though I had switched to Android their handsets were still sending messages via the iMessage servers to which I am no longer connected. It's a pretty easy thing to check. If your friends/family/colleagues are using iOS and the message bubbles are blue on outgoing messages they're going out on the iMessage servers.

Turn off iMessaging on your old handset if possible and let it connect to the internet to send the switch to the apple servers. The folks on the other end should start getting a failure icon next to the outgoing blue bubbles. When this happens they can now press and hold the bubble till the option of "Send Message as SMS" appears. This should change the delivery method in their phones and get things flowing smoothly again.

I may call Apple just to see if they could do something on their end but this method worked for me. What a pain in the arse.

Good Luck!