New batchs of phones have PINK screen issue fixed. Main cause of delay?Support

Last Updated:

1. MobileDoggy

MobileDoggy Banned This Topic's Starter

Just got a new replacement. I never knew how PINK my screen was until I compared my old phone (which I got at launch day) with another unit side by side. Finally after 2 weeks wait I got a new replacement today and the screen is perfect now. Not even a slight amount of pink screen (other than on the rare gray shades). I thought my phone had only a mild case of "pink screen" but the comparison shot with the new replacement is shocking. I had no idea how BAD it was with the screen at low to medium brightness.

Could this be the cause of AMOLED shortage. Its obvious HTC deemed these pink screens acceptable and now with so many returns are rejecting them because the new phones coming in are perfect.

I HIGHLY recommend testing your phone with the new units coming in and compare at low brightness. If WHITES like on googles homepage have even a SLIGHT amount of pink hue at low brightness, return your phone.

Lowest brightness
    pink.JPG

low/mid brightness
    pink2.JPG

Advertisement
  2. MrTissues

MrTissues Well-Known Member

Well this sort of makes up for the long wait I am having. Hopefully my screen isn't pink also.

3. howarmat

howarmat Well-Known Member

i dont know about it being the reason for the screen shortage, my screen is NOT pink like that though and its a launch day phone

4. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

woah pinkish...

5. SeattleYanksFan

SeattleYanksFan Well-Known Member

Same. I got my Incredible April 27th and the only "pink" I see is in gmail. My dad's phone, on the other hand, which he got like May 5th, does have a pinkish hue everywhere. Perhaps I should tell him to have it swapped.

6. JETC

JETC Well-Known Member

Mine is the very first batch. No hiccups with it whatsoever minus the power button that kept getting recessed into the case. Although, it stopped now and settled in so I'm hoping it stays that way. Other than that, no issues whatsoever...not even the battery. I get a good 10-12hrs on it with medium to heavy use which I think is decent. I got 2 of the hong kong 1500mah batteries and a charger for 15bux. I'm all set. Returned the body glove case and ordered the seidio innocase.

7. milnivlek

milnivlek Well-Known Member

No pink hue on mine either (delivered 5/12).

8. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have one of the first Incs as well, and a few weeks ago I had a pink screen when I turned the brightness all the way down. However, I just checked it and there is no pink whatsoever. Might be something other than just the brightness that affects the screen color....or I'm losing my mind ( nothing new there. )

9. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

I also got mine on launch day and it is not pink like the one you had

10. zemerick

Oh, can some people check out the galaxy live wallpaper that comes with the phone. The inner, about half, of the galaxy has a very pink hue. I think this is part of the wallpaper, but just curious.

11. MobileDoggy

I was the same way until I compared my phone side by side with another unit. I would exchange your phone if I were you, while you still have time to get a new one from Verizon.

12. zemerick

Well, being one of the first people to get one, I'm well past the 30 days.

However, I think you missed the key: There is absolutely NO pink normally now. ( Excluding on that live wallpaper ) and as such, I was questioning if there was something else that would cause the pink affect, not a hardware defect. If there is something else that causes it, we need to figure that out, so everyone can avoid it, and those with the problem can just fix it.

Note: I can compare the phone directly to anything, even my desktop monitor: There is 0 pink hue to it, and I know what it looks like because I had it happen at least once before.

13. MobileDoggy

Oh ok, I guess you're good then.

14. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Got mine during launch week and not pinkish either.

15. Ruben

Ruben Well-Known Member

First batch here too. gMail is a bit pink if you look hard enough. Other than that, good to go.

16. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

Got mine a day before the release date and no pink on my screen, even in dark rooms.

17. griswolds53

griswolds53 Well-Known Member

launch day phone. no pink. unless i stare at it for 10 minutes then i think its pink. however...all kidding around. no pink. I wonder if there were other issues, or it was just a certain batch of phones? like someone said above, my phone is perfect. great call quality, great reception. blows the motodroid i had out of the water in that respect. my call quality was terrible.

18. Anubis

Anubis Active Member

I got mine ( Bestbuy ) on May 10th, no pinkish hue. As far as I can tell

19. zemerick

OK, I've been looking into this more, and also thinking a lot more about it and what could possibly cause it.

First, I will say I was able to get some pink hue on my phone again...but only very limited ( and anything white, like google looks perfect...in the case of the first image, with google it looks like the one on the right NOT left. )

What I did was go into the actual setting, and turn it ALL the way down. Even at about 5% there is no pink. However, once I get down to about 0-3% it starts to show, but only on dark grey surfaces such as the window for the brightness slider itself. The setting on the system panel does not go anywhere near low enough for the pink to start showing.

Now, for some thought on why this might be occurring.

The human eye tends to be more responsive to red light ( as far as color differentiation goes. IE cones. Rods detect a greenish blue best, but lose any information as to the actual color. ) As such, I think once you get really low on the brightness, it stops lowering the red, and only lowers green and blue. This will allow you to most easily differentiate between colors and total black. Also, because the Rods detect greenish blue the best ( which can have a sizable effect on how bright something is perceived ) you can still get a good deal darker, while maintaining color differentiation and readability.

Now, obviously in some cases ( like the OP photos ) something is happening, and the Red is getting out of sync with the Green and Blue way too early. I have no idea on this ATM.

NOTE: All of this is just speculation on my part so far. It seems to make sense, but then again at one time it made sense that the world was flat. <shrug>

20. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Mine's not pink at all I had mine in hand on 4/30.

21. MobileDoggy

It has nothing to do with the human eye since my digital camera captured exactly what I see. Yes, you have the pink screen issue on your phone. It is not noticeable too much when brightness is increased but low to mid brightness you can see it. Your phone is defective. I would exchange it.

22. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

I don't think you actually understood what he said. He doesn't have the pink issue, except to subtle degrees at VERY low brightness levels. We all have that. What you captured in your pics is certainly far more than what he is speaking of, and is defective.

23. barrister89

barrister89 Well-Known Member

What makes anyone think that the "newer" phones are any different than the phones bought at the release in terms of the display. This topic has been discussed at length and clearly there are variations in the pinkness between individual units. Maybe tweaks were made in later production runs but this is pure speculation. Seems unlikely in such a short time period.

I agree however that if tweaks to the display or driver software were in fact made, HTC is not going to issue a press release because they'd face a torrent of returned phones.

24. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Holy crap that's really pink! lol Mine is definitely not like that at all.

25. mancow

mancow Well-Known Member

That's about how my first one was (waiting on replacement for battery not charging). I hope this new one is better. The first one was bad enough that when used in the windshield and contrasted with a grey rainy sky the screen was almost red.