• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Battery Issue (wrong battery Remaining % shown)

FahdR

Apr 28, 2010
Hi,

Today i found a new battery issue with the phone. I tried searching the forum but as you can probably see from the title could not find the right words to define it.

At night i left the battery at around 70% and when i woke up it was shown as 5% (no i did not sleep for 24hrs straight.). with the sync, bluetooth, GPS, wireless and Data (through Quick Settings) off. :thinking:

but thats not the fun part yet. it comes when i plugged in my car charger the battery level jumped from 5% to 60% within a millisecond. I know the the charger box said "Fast Rate Charger" but this is ridiculous. unless i got one of those freak hyper super fast charger :)(which i doubt, hardly that lucky:(), there is a software bug.

Does anyone know how to remedy this cuz now i dont think i can trust the battery level thingy. It fun when it happens this way but i dont think i would be laughing if the battery dropped by 50%.
(using Milestone 2.1-update1)

HELP!!!!

The battery monitor "guesses" the percentages based on the spec of the original Motorola battery. Is your new battery from a third-party generic manufacturer? If so all bets are off.

I have two that were cheap and cheerful but behave much like you describe; sometimes you get what you pay for.

I believe the battery is DOA. If the battery was brand new with the phone when you got it, you should take it back and they can DOA the battery. If they give you a hassle get tough with them as it costs them nothing to DOA it! Standard DOA policy is 30 days, if its over that maybe you can sweet talk them before you get tough with them lol :D :p

Upvote 0
Its the original battery, i havent changed it.

I dont think it was DOA as ive been using the phone for quite a few months now and this is maybe the first or second time it has happened (that i noticed).
I thought it was a software issue like " the monitor is drunk or high thus making wrong guesses" (official quote:)).

Upvote 0
Its the original battery, i havent changed it.

Sorry about that, your "new battery issue" is a bit ambiguous. I took it to mean you had an issue with a new battery, you meant it to mean you had a new issue with the existing battery ...

If you ignore the numbers do you get the battery life you expect? If so then it implies a software problem rather than the battery itself, but if battery life matches the monitor's "guess" it's probably a dying battery and the monitor is doing its job.

Upvote 0
1- I haven't tried ignoring the "guess" yet like i said it only happen once or twice. but will turn on the games next time it happens.

2- Thanks will try restarting the phone more often, hopefully googs have fixed problem in 2,2.

i had to use 1&2 as i couldnt figure out how to add multiple quotes and am to lazy right now to figure it out.

Upvote 0
Oh!!! i have the same problem with my Samsung Galaxy 3. Battery drops to 10% directly from 50%, with just one phone call (not more than 1 min). And gets charged to 50% directly from 10%. Have got the software reset from a Samsung Service center. Didnt work. So next time they replaced the battery. Didnt work. Next Time they replaced the mother board itself. Still the same issue. Now they say wait a month for Froyo.

Upvote 0
2 things OP:

1 It sounds like you could have a rouge app installed. This happened to me when I first started with Android and downloaded various apps and couldn't pinpoint the exact culprit. I eventually did a factory reset and started installing apps that were popular in the market (so nobody else had those issues in the comments) and the problem went away. To this day I don't know which original app it was and honestly I don't care anymore.

2. Use Battery Booster. It's useful for both % but also temp of your phone. If your phone is getting too hot, then your battery will drain much faster. It's currently not in the phone's market but it's safe to use. You have to get it from the web Android Market for whatever reason.

Click on this link and "install" from your phone:

https://market.android.com/details?id=imoblife.batterybooster

Best of luck... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones