New Battery Monitor (app)?Support

Last Updated:

1. kenyu73

kenyu73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I started developing this yesterday, and wanted to get thoughts. My goal is a notification driven warning service. It's not going to "fix" the issues, but will at least monitor some key things.

I'm just trying to take all these forum posts where users don't understand what is causing a battery drain.

I don't want to make this app to complicated, but want it to be useful to auto catch issues before the phone dies.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

neat...

3. mmisterio

mmisterio Well-Known Member

Please try to include stats like estimated life left before the battery dies

4. rainierez

rainierez Well-Known Member

I really want a better management app that could monitor apps as they make and recieve updates. Kinda like little snitch on the mac. I know that isn't what you are looking to do but it could be a feature.

5. Haelous

Haelous Well-Known Member

I would install that if it doesn't use anymore resources than say, No Signal Alert.

For awake time, if you didn't already, a good idea would be to have a preliminary period where it doesn't notify that it's 100%. For example, someone reboots their phone and plays with it for 10mins after the reboot.

6. kenyu73

Yeah, I have preliminary thresholds and minimum monitoring times setup. I'll also have a type of "dismiss/snooze" option (maybe when you tap the alert.

All those details are still on the design board, :cool:

7. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Well-Known Member

wow very cool. tag for updates!

8. kenyu73

I've published my app in the Market (.99c). Search for 'kenyu73' or 'Battery Detective'.

I'll be adding more monitors hopefully that find high cpu apps and non-sleep apps.... if you do plunge and buy this (instead of a $1 Mc'ds dollar menu burger), I hope it helps out!

[​IMG]

9. kenyu73

Bah, it's FREE now... just added "AdMob" to it... enjoy!

10. EM30996

EM30996 Active Member

gonna give it a try.. ill let you know how it goes

11. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member

Battery monitors drain the battery. It is a sick circle of using the battery to power the processor to run the battery monitor app to view the battery usage. Stop obsessing over the battery and you won't notice the drain so much. Great app design but only serves the purpose of watching the battery die.

12. kenyu73

I coded the monitors off the battery drain triggers themselves, not my own thread/loops. My whole direction was avoiding making the drain issue worse. Basically, if the battery isnt draining, then BatteryDetective is idle.

For example, I left the monitor on over night starting at 11pm, I woke up at 7:30am and the last 1% drain was at 3:45am.

Again, the logic is triggered off normal drain triggers... with the exception of signal triggers which is nothing but simple math and then notification trigger if needed.

Anyhow, it's good for what it does... monitoring your custom thresholds before your battery goes dead. :rolleyes:

It's also a good little general tool too...set the drain to 1% and see how long it takes to trigger a warning.... run a game and see how hot the battery gets...etc.

13. kenyu73

I"m also still open for ideas too...I know there are a zillion monitors and tools in the market, but most seem to be diagnostic types or single purposed, not background battery babysitters for multiple checks... <shrug>

My next notify monitors will be...
    * App(s) using high CPU for extended duration
    * App(s) not sleeping

14. DHall15

DHall15 Member

i have a question about battery temperature. my battery has been up to 108 degrees, how hot is too hot?