• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Browser... Why?

Whats the benefits of replacing the oem browser with something like Chrome or FireFox?

It depends. Browsers like those definitely have more features than the stock browser such as switching between desktop viewing mode and mobile viewing mode. Also some boast more speed. But if you're contempt with it no need to download a new browser.

Upvote 0
The same reason why people don't use Internet Explorer on a PC: More options, features and better speed. Different browsers on Android have different engines, unlike on iOS where everything is forced to use the Safari engine.

A few examples of differences:

1. Opera - has an engine with turbo mode option, allowing for server side compression making you use less data and less time to render a webpage than other browsers

2. Chrome- uses the Google Chromium engine, so its lean fast and allows for sync between your device and PC Chrome app. You can even see what tabs are currently open on your PC if you leave it running at home

Upvote 0
If you're on Jelly Bean, you have to add a different Browser to get Flash to work (why on earth would Adobe/Google not support flash, it's on about every page I open!).

Other browsers can wrap text better, give you more text size options (sometimes), give you more add-ons (Adblock), better tabbing, better bookmarking...

You just need to try a couple to see what you're missing (or not).

Chrome came on my Nexus 7, but I have it disabled. Been using Boat, but thinking of moving to "Naked", very fast....

Upvote 0
It's personal preference. I find Chrome to mimic the desktop experience I am used to (with Chrome on the dekstop) the best.

The only one I would recommend against is Opera. It caches some sites in order to serve them faster. This can often cause encryption and authentication problems. Many government agencies actually ban access for employees trying to use the Opera browser.

Upvote 0
I always use Chrome on my phone, safe and fast for me, and that is why I like it so much
aile.gif
aile.gif

Upvote 0
Reactions: tcat007
Upvote 0
If you're on Jelly Bean, you have to add a different Browser to get Flash to work (why on earth would Adobe/Google not support flash, it's on about every page I open!).

Other browsers can wrap text better, give you more text size options (sometimes), give you more add-ons (Adblock), better tabbing, better bookmarking...

You just need to try a couple to see what you're missing (or not).

Chrome came on my Nexus 7, but I have it disabled. Been using Boat, but thinking of moving to "Naked", very fast....

IIRC, I read a recent opinion somewhere that Chrome doesn't look so hot on mini and regular tablets, even the Nexus 7 & 10(!). But on the Nexus 4 (phone), the absolute best browser

Upvote 0
As an Android fan, this article re content owners' big dilemma concerning live video streaming to Android devices (from Streaming Media magazine, in their December 2012/January 2013 issue) makes me cringe a little, but I remain optimistic, as usual http://ow.ly/gqU9q This article is just as good as the one by Ryan Whitwam.

The title is Google Needs a Strategy for Video on Android Devices by Dan Rayburn

Excerpt: "Right now, content owners are left in an awkward state if they want to deliver live video to Android browsers. If Flash is present, you can deliver a basic Flash video player. If it is not, you can try to deliver HLS, but the HLS manifests must either be hand-coded or created using Android-specific tools. If the HLS video can play without buffering, you

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I really like the chrome browser but I've found it drains a lot of my battery. Is it so with others? I'm not a big fan of the native browser though I read it has better benchmarks. What should I do? I've deactivated the tilt to scroll operations as I've read in another thread that it consumes battery. Is dolphin better in this regard? Pls help. I'm using an unlocked S3 on jellybean 4.1.1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones