New browser

1. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Opera have recently released opera mobile (beta), an upgraded opera mini. It is far better than opera mini, taking full advantage of the newer smartphone capabilities, the UI & overall feel is better too.
    For those who don't know, opera browsers compress the webpage on their servers before sending it to your phone. The phone then does the hard work (uncompresses it), which results in quicker loading & less data usage. Also makes browsing on G & E cellular data quick-ish too.

Advertisement
  2. arhill45

arhill45 Member

Tried it but prefer Dolphin browser which seems to be similar to Chrome on my PC.
  3. sonesh

sonesh Well-Known Member

With the DHD's battery not lasting a long time, wouldn't it be better having the phone download a large page, instead of a small one and having to use CPU/battery to uncompress it.

I used to use Opera on my Nokia, and it was great, but it would give me 5 days of battery
  4. springy

springy Well-Known Member

what does people think about the new skyfire 3 browser?
  5. TheKaptone

TheKaptone New Member

I have just started using firefox4 which is still in beta but the sync with the desktop is brilliant IMHO
  6. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

On the contrary, this is the whole reason for this browser. The uncompressing is more efficient & quicker, as opposed to the time & power it takes to download an uncompressed webpage.
    Using g/e data is almost bearable too.
  7. Kharkass

Kharkass Member

big_mike, john_g and arlrb like this.
  8. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Great find kharkass. Loving this browser; quick, responsive, good layout, good features...
  9. big_mike

big_mike Well-Known Member

the Miren browser is also in the market. im getting on it now see what its like.
  10. big_mike

Posted from the miren browser. seems ok. At first glance haven't really played round with it yet though.
  11. big_mike

Been using miren all day and have to say its top notch. Fast simple to use and very stable too.
  12. redshark313

redshark313 Active Member

yes, miren appears to be a nice browser, although it doesn't seem to see the customised bbc homepage I like it to set...

Anyone else had this trouble?
  13. springy

springy Well-Known Member

I have been using Skyfire 3.
    There are so many different hints and likes that it allows you to navigate to pages which are of interest of what you are reading, handy for people who cannot think of pages to go to.
  14. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

has become a bit buggy of late. gone back to opera for light browsing, stock browser for high content stuff.
  15. alkalidodo

alkalidodo Well-Known Member

I have downloaded almost all but for the life of me i cannot see my bookmarks as they are in my computer explorer.What did i miss? Which of the has that feature?
  16. Doughnuts

Doughnuts Member

I was using Opera Mobile 10.1 Beta, and was liking it. After reading this thread though I've downloaded Miren and Dolphin and like them both better than either Opera or the default browser. I particularly like the gestures in Dolphin. I think it'll take me a while to decide on my favourite :)
  17. alkalidodo

alkalidodo Well-Known Member

I have downloaded almost all but for the life of me i cannot see my bookmarks as they are in my computer explorer.What did i miss? Which of the has that feature?
  18. Doughnuts

Doughnuts Member

alkalidodo,
    I haven't tried syncing my phone bookmarks with my PC, so if that's what you're asking then i can't help. However both Dolphin and Miren picked up all my bookmarks from the default browser. Dolphin put them last in the list though so I didn't see them initially.

As a point of interest, I just went to the google site with the default browser, and it asked me if I wanted to install Chrome for Mac OSX. They can't even recognise their own browser, lol