New budget friendly school/gaming laptop

Last Updated:

1. aconrad86

aconrad86 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm going back to school and need a new laptop $700 is about all i can afford to spend. Is there anywhere i can get a great laptop, that can handle WoW without having to kill the video settings with all my addons, and still be able to get everything on it I need to go to school for Information Systems Security??? If you could include links or anything else that would be awesome!! I'm not scared of having a laptop built and I'm sure if I set down to do it could probably put one together myself if that is the best option. Thanks for the help!!

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Most newer laptops, particularly those running the latest Core iX CPus and with dedicated graphics, will have no problem running WoW.

A few can be had for prices that low - for example:

Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops,Laptops / Notebooks,$500 - $750 (The pricing option was from $500 to $750, so some may be a bit out of the price range, but most should be in there).

BTW, nice to meet a neighbor - just south of Warner Robins (Warner Vegas aka Wonderful Robins) here.

3. aconrad86

awesome thanks im checking that out now. I'm actually in Kennesaw but only like 30 min from the ATL

4. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

5. johnlgalt

I know well where kennesaw is lol.

Good luck on your search as well as you school endeavors. I just started my Masters in Biotechnology....

6. aconrad86

thanks im saving a 16" asus i found on newegg but im checking out comp usa now. ya i had a little to much fun my first go around in college so im starting with a fresh slate lol

7. johnlgalt

You and me both. I am 39....

At least I have the wherewithal *and* wisdom to go back and finish what I started 22 years ago...

Also, another thing - I use the Fx browser, and I have a couple of 'pricewatch' extensions (add-ons) that compare prices of products that I look at in real time with other websites.

The first is from http://www.priceadvance.com/ and the second is from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/14392/ - and in addition, I also have an add-on from http://www.retailmenot.com/

Plus, I search pricewatch.com as well as Google Shopping, eBay and Amazon too, for the same exact product and find the cheapest I can find it, including shipping.

8. aconrad86

haha ya my break has only been 5 years but it still amazes me how wierd it feels being back on campus

9. johnlgalt

Good thing is that I am in a Masters program, and the average age is closer to 30 than 21 - so it is not as much of a culture shock.

But I just finished my undergrad in Computer Science (and am finishing a second Bachelor's in Mathematics while doing this masters) so I still see some of the 'kids' I made friends with in the last 2 years....

When getting your laptop be sure to do a lot of research, particularly at places like NewEgg and review sites like Tom's Hardware Guide and Anadtech - there may be inherent problems that don't show up right away with a choice that you make.

Other than that, happy hunting!

10. aconrad86

Oh I am. I'm definatly not gonna get ripped off it will probably be another month or so before i drop the money because I wanna make sure I get the most bang for the buck.

11. JAL

JAL Active Member

I just bought a low-end PC with an i3 chip, that plays WoW at 60 fps and 75 latency. WoW is low end gaming. A pretty basic laptop should run it.

12. aconrad86

what is the ram/videocard set up on your pc??

13. Rota

Rota Well-Known Member

Newegg.com - Recertified: ASUS G Series G51VX-RX05 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P7350(2.00GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I have one of these. It's a gaming monster but with the battery saving profiles you can squeeze almost 3 hours of light work out of it too.

14. Aiyan

Aiyan Well-Known Member