• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New "Bugless" 2.01+2.1 apps ROM...

.7 is coming, no update.zip option.

I could never get my app info restored (Titanium Backup locks up when I try to restore apps/market data) so I went back to Birdman v4...

This ROM needs an update option that doesn't kill data, or I need a way to restore apps/market data to try it again. Just don't have the patience to do it manually, and the Marketplace isn't doing it for me automatically...

Upvote 0
I could never get my app info restored (Titanium Backup locks up when I try to restore apps/market data) so I went back to Birdman v4...

This ROM needs an update option that doesn't kill data, or I need a way to restore apps/market data to try it again. Just don't have the patience to do it manually, and the Marketplace isn't doing it for me automatically...

Hey Redflea ... I search & searched ... nothin! As far as a db that holds that info. But I did come across a "system" that may work for you. This is how I'm keeping my apps up-to-date.

First of all, I use ASTRO to backup my apps, so I don't need the Market telling me what apps I have, or to automatically install them. The truth is, I'd rather install apps myself when I first load a new ROM anyway. I also have a way to batch install all of my apps from my backup folder if I choose. More on that later...

I found an app called aTrackDog. It scans your DROID for apps installed, then it searches the Market and tells you which ones need updating. I've used it twice now, and it seems like it's doing it's job.

Install it and let me know what you think...

Upvote 0
Thanks!

I've used atrackdog, used it recently to back up my app list again. That is an option, but I just like the way the market puts my updates right in front of me, notifies me of them, etc. Maybe I'm slightly OCD about trying to keep everything hooked up. ;)

But I'm even more screwed up now...likely something to do with all my futzing about with ROMs, but when I reloaded Birdman v4 my app list on download was complete...however, a little later (not sure how long) I noticed that the list had "lost" many of my installed apps somehow...

Maybe my wife is right, I need to stop mucking about with my phone...

...naaahhhh! :D

Upvote 0
I just noticed that.. but one other thing I noiticed is the 'all animations' is off.. default is 'all on'. when i switched over to all on like it was, i noticed a slow down in performance.. so dont think that the rom is the only thing making is seem so fast, its also that.....

But i got my 5 homescreens and im a happy camper.. and I even got to keep my droid eye in the beginning. my phone doesnt even look hacked :p

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't mean that the phone is slowing down. It's just a function of the animations. The animation of a screen switching means that there's a fade effect, etc. that plays. In other words, it does not just switch from screen to screen. Therefore, it will appear slower to your eye, but that's what the animation is by definition. A gradual change, rather than just an on / off switch.

If you download spare parts you will notice that you can change the speed of the animations within the same ROM (works on unrooted phones too).

So do you want a bit of bling or do you want outright speed switching from screen to screen?

Upvote 0
V7 is up. Oh and I am out. To much work trying to keep up with Pete :p

The way I see it, I am very happy with V5. V6 had no changes I was interested in, haven't checked V7 yet but until it comes out with a bunch of new features, I'll stick with this. I like what it has and the speed and stability - not one force close yet.

Upvote 0
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't mean that the phone is slowing down. It's just a function of the animations.

Yes, and no. Removing animations is 1 part perception, but also 1 part actual. Remember that it takes processing power in order to process animations, both by the cpu and video.

One of the first thing I do to tune-up an XP box is get rid of some of the needless animations (fade this, slide that). I haven't yet had someone complain that I took that stuff away. At first, animations have a wow factor. But after awhile, don't we just want things to be snappy?

Then again, I'm a little old skool. No animations. No wallpapers ... especially moving (live) wallpapers, etc...

Upvote 0
I am sticking with my .6 with wifi tethering, oc, and brightness app :)

Are you experiencing any issues with the proximity sensor? I loaded the same version as you last night and this morning my screen wouldn't come back on after a call... I tried a couple of additional calls with the same result. So I immediately backed out and went back to 0.5 because I hadn't experienced any problems with it. That said, I really want the OC functionality...

Upvote 0
Yup - just got too tiring...if he went to the Sholes delivery or update zips, then maybe I'll dive in again. :)

Back on Birdman and wondering why I wanted to switch.

Oh I remember, I can't let well-enough alone... ;)

im running .6 of the "bugless" with wifi tethering and what not, is the birdman v4 as good or better and does it have wifi tethering and other doo dads?

Upvote 0
Yup - just got too tiring...if he went to the Sholes delivery or update zips, then maybe I'll dive in again. :)

Back on Birdman and wondering why I wanted to switch.

Oh I remember, I can't let well-enough alone... ;)

Agreed, if we could use an SPRecovery INSTALL I would be much more inclined to continue trying them.

This is the first smartphone I have ever owned that worked right out of the box. No tweaking or flashing or recoveries required to have a nice well rounded device, and yet here we are, not able to leave well-enough alone. LOL :D

Upvote 0
i am running .7 and its great! my droid is running faster than ever! anyone have any tips on how to get the wifi to tether properly with a Mac?

Are you using a security key? I think it's still broken. Wifi is a standard that should be the same across all platforms. I don't see why connecting with a Mac would be any different than connecting with a PC, an iPod, or even another Droid.

Upvote 0
Posted at alldroid in the droid forum...

A new 2.01+2.1 apps "bugless ROM" (obviously an optimistic dev) in nandroid backup form.

Interesting part is that he's moved a bunch of pre-installed apps to /data and they can be uninstalled via Settings>Applications>Manage Apps.

Includes the usual 2.1 apps, but leaves out several of the more cutting edge hacks/additions (hence his "bugless" title).

Sort of reminds me of the Birdman v4 ROM that I'm running w/a couple of nice additions (2.1 keyboard w/voice input, transparent notification bar)...

I haven't tried it yet - submitter is a newbie to the forum and I'd like to see more results before I give it a go...my paranoid side showing through... ;)

Anyone have a link to this download?
I have looked around and anything I found that links back to this on alldroid has been removed from the forum.
N

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones