• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Captivate owner...first "Smartphone"...help!

You may want to try an app called Juice Defender. I tried it when I first got my phone, and I am pretty sure that it allows you to toggle your 3G use on and off. That should stop your phone from using data when you don't want the usage.

Also, if you find that some of your apps are using data, you can also try to put the phone in airplane mode when you are playing games, etc. It may not work for all apps, but it may help with some of them.

Upvote 0
(regarding the word "freeloader" being bad) -

Yes, it is, but I don't think sremick meant it to be that harsh.

Please remember - it's only text and you can't see the other guy's face.

You can imagine that the term was meant endearingly or harshly.

If you imagine anything harsh - use the Report button _please_ - it gives us something read. (And, btw, nobuddy reported it.)

In this case, I'm reading it as probably meant endearingly because I know sremick has a good track record of caring to helping people.

Now - no further need to discuss that word any more in this thread, read the links in my sigs, and dominus, dominus, dominus, all sins forgiven, and I return you all back to the topic, which is... help!

Upvote 0
Regardless, when did it become incumbant on the user to demand a pay version when the company puts out an ad supported, free to the user version.

It's not. But if the user wants an ad-free version, and no ad-free "pay" version exists, then that's the avenue they can take.

How does using an ad supported app make me a "freeloader"?
It doesn't. Certainly anyone content with the trade-off for ads has perfect karma. :) The comment was just generically referring to the desire to take the ads of out ad-supported software without getting the pay-version in trade.

Anyway, let's move on from the whole "freeloader" thing as it was taken out of context... cheers...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones