new car. Bluetooth pairs for audio, but not for phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. gurana

gurana Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got a 2011 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. One of the features it has is hands free calling with controls built in to the steering wheel. Another feature is bluetooth streaming audio.

One of the first things I did when the car finally came in was to pair through the stereo so I could listen to pandora without having to use the AUX jack.

To use the hands free phone system, there seems to be a separate pairing process activated through the steering wheel controls. It mostly walks you through the process, but once it gets to the actual process of pairing it continually says "searching..." until it times out.

This is all slightly frustrating as the audio part seemed to work without a hitch. Even more frustrating, I've gotten responses from subaru forums saying that people with the EVO 4G didn't seem to have an issue getting either to work.

One thing I will note is that the icon next to the entry for the car in my bluetooth paired device listing appears to just be the earphones. When I plug in headphones with a microphone, I get an icon that reflects that. Here are the things I'm going to try next:
    • start over and pair the phone first
    • delete entry on my DINC for my jawbone headset (probably won't need that anymore anyways)
    Any other suggestions for things to try would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. spoon059

spoon059 New Member

Having the same problem with my Droid. I need to find some way to make the phone forget that it was connected to the car for audio only, that way I can program for phone and audio.

3. gurana

gurana Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Follow up: I was able to get the phone bit to work. However, when I attempted to re-pair after getting back in the car later, it didn't seem to work. I went back later that night and had to re-re-pair, I guess. There probably is a specific set of steps I must go through to have this work when reconnecting, I just need to figure it out. But it works, and it works even if I use the bluetooth audio, so I'm happy for that, at least. Jeesch, I guess getting into my car and setting up bluetooth is going to be a thing I do now.

4. fallenhero

fallenhero New Member

Hey everyone, I have a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i with bluetooth hands-free calling. My phone is an Android HTC Hero with the upgrade to 2.1. I have tried to pair it multiple times and sometimes I can use bluetooth with the car, and sometimes the car's display just says "Talking..." but there is no audio. I cannot hear the speaker on the other end.
    This is so frustrating. I have spent hours trying to set it up and when it does work at times, it seems hit-or-miss.
    Is there a bluetooth software error in android 2.1? Gurana (above) and I should have the exact same bluetooth config in our Subarus.
    Thank you!

5. Danzelc

Danzelc New Member

Hey fallen hero..
    I have the same issue. Outback limited, htc hero, Bluetooth synch issues.

Even though the phone shows connected, dials out via car, makes the call and connects, we sometimes lose audio during the call out portion where folks on each side of the call can't hear each other and experience dead air. We are in good cell range and can manually correct. It's almost as if the car/phone is dropping the audio capability during the call once dial out occurs.

We manually correct by dropping bt connection on cell and reconnect via car. Not desired at all and have open ticket with Subaru.

Curious if you've resolved?

We can manually disconnect the bt connection on phone and deselect via car to resolve.