• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Cliq user

I am loving this device. Here are my thoughts so far on the Cliq (been using it for about a week and a half)...

MotoBlur with email and FB integration works great!

Coming from BB, Dialer is poor. Can't add new contacts straight from the call log, accidentally touch the call log and you end up calling someone, click on the name and it will only call the number that they last called you on (rather than giving you option to call mobile, work, home, etc). Best app I have found so far to resolve this is SuperDial but it FC at times and still does not have all that BB functionality. I can live with this though.

If SuperDial can fix the FC issues AND become the default dialer when I hit the green call button, it will be perfect for us former BB users!

Not Call Log is another good app to prevent accidental dialing.

Tried and uninstalled Contacts Blast Lite (didn't like UI and lack of FB integration), besides it's the dialer I am not happy rather than the contact manager. Did not even try Speed Dial since developer's website is erroneous and I read that if you have a lot of contacts (>50) then it is not that good. Didn't try it but PhoneBook looks good; however, I need a dialer, not another contact manager.

Also liked the BB alarm better. The Android Alarm takes getting used to. Finally figured out that I need to uncheck the "increasing" volume button!

Other apps I really like and have used regularly: Pandora, TV.com, CNET Scan, Ultrachron, Photoshop mobile, TexasHoldem, Battery Booster lite, Astro File Manager, Google Sky, Google Maps.

There are other apps I have downloaded but have not used them yet so can't comment.

If you are syncing mp3's to your Android Cliq, I had some issues with Windows Media Player as some songs I had purchased would 'sync' but not play. I downloaded Double Twist to my PC and this fixed the issue! (just be sure to uncheck the sync library before attaching your device or it will attempt to sync your entire library).

Add Google Calendar syncing to your PC too, it will sync your gmail account with Outlook calendar (which must of us former BB users need).

Syncing contacts with Outlook is another matter. It looks like Google is working on this but it is not ready yet. I exported from Outlook to a csv file, added the contacts to gmail and presto, the contacts sync with the Cliq! (they just don't sync all the way back to Outlook yet).

That's my two cents so far :)

Upvote 0
I am loving this device. Here are my thoughts so far on the Cliq (been using it for about a week and a half)...

MotoBlur with email and FB integration works great!

Coming from BB, Dialer is poor. Can't add new contacts straight from the call log, accidentally touch the call log and you end up calling someone, click on the name and it will only call the number that they last called you on (rather than giving you option to call mobile, work, home, etc). Best app I have found so far to resolve this is SuperDial but it FC at times and still does not have all that BB functionality. I can live with this though.

If SuperDial can fix the FC issues AND become the default dialer when I hit the green call button, it will be perfect for us former BB users!

Not Call Log is another good app to prevent accidental dialing.

Tried and uninstalled Contacts Blast Lite (didn't like UI and lack of FB integration), besides it's the dialer I am not happy rather than the contact manager. Did not even try Speed Dial since developer's website is erroneous and I read that if you have a lot of contacts (>50) then it is not that good. Didn't try it but PhoneBook looks good; however, I need a dialer, not another contact manager.

Also liked the BB alarm better. The Android Alarm takes getting used to. Finally figured out that I need to uncheck the "increasing" volume button!

Other apps I really like and have used regularly: Pandora, TV.com, CNET Scan, Ultrachron, Photoshop mobile, TexasHoldem, Battery Booster lite, Astro File Manager, Google Sky, Google Maps.

There are other apps I have downloaded but have not used them yet so can't comment.

If you are syncing mp3's to your Android Cliq, I had some issues with Windows Media Player as some songs I had purchased would 'sync' but not play. I downloaded Double Twist to my PC and this fixed the issue! (just be sure to uncheck the sync library before attaching your device or it will attempt to sync your entire library).

Add Google Calendar syncing to your PC too, it will sync your gmail account with Outlook calendar (which must of us former BB users need).

Syncing contacts with Outlook is another matter. It looks like Google is working on this but it is not ready yet. I exported from Outlook to a csv file, added the contacts to gmail and presto, the contacts sync with the Cliq! (they just don't sync all the way back to Outlook yet).

That's my two cents so far :)

Just so you know, you can create a shortcut on your screen for direct dial to any number in your contact list. Makes it much easier for those people that you call a lot.

Upvote 0
I was an Outlook user myself but when I decided on going Android, I made the decision to convert completely to Google and GMAIL. I imported into GMAIL like you did but that's all I use now. This way I can access my stuff at home or at work and I don't even bother with Outlook any more. I guess I'm a firm beliver that the best way to have something work perfectly is to use it as it was best intended (Google/GMAIL integration) so it's out the door for Outlook. Now if only Google would improve their woeful ToDo area and also add a notes section like Outlook, that would be great. At least for now, I can add apps for those functions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones