new contacts not showing up in search results

Last Updated:

1. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I go into contacts on my phone and start typing "M", it automatically starts showing up all contacts that start with "M"...but one is missing. It's a contact that I added on my phone, not on gmail on my computer. When I manually scroll down the contacts list, the contact is there. When I log into gmail on my computer, the contact is there and is listed under "My Contacts". Anyway ideas?

Advertisement
  2. darth_cholo

darth_cholo Active Member

I had a similar issue but with voice dial. It would find a contact, buut not display all the phone number associated. I wiped all contacts and resynched. Fixed the issue.

3. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

i have a similar issue. About once a week i receive a text message from a random number (or so i think). Problem is it's not a random number, my phone seems to periodically delete a contacts phone number so when they text me they dont show up as a contact.

4. droidosis

droidosis Well-Known Member

I saw a post on this a while back. Wonder if it is related - The solution was to check the contact and make sure the correct field has the information (phone #) in it.

The person was trying to SMS the new contact, but the contact did not have a phone number listed in the "Mobile" field. Once put in the mobile field, it worked fine.

-droidosis-

5. jmt9779

I'll give it a shot but how do I wipe the contacts from the phone without it wiping them out of gmail? (Can you give me a step-by-step?)

Thanks!

6. jmt9779

A-HA! I just figured it out! Well, I figured out what the problem is, more specifically. Still no solution. I only have the problem with contacts that only have a business or company's name, no individual person's name. So if I type in "J" in the search box, Jane Doe and John Smith will show up but Jimmy's Pizza will not. Apparently the contacts are only searchable by the field's for "given name" and "family name", not "organization" name...Which sucks harder than Paris Hilton at a slumber party.

I really do love this phone, but these little quirks and idiosyncrasies in the design and engineering are really starting to piss me off.

7. CatButt

CatButt New Member

Yeah...I spent several hours on the phone with Moto and described this very issue. I had to demonstrate several times that how much better it would be to have the search function search ALL fields. I actually got to a product manager and I am supposed to call him from time to time. I told him that the search form the home screen should search everything on the phone. Searching from a program should only search within that program. Super simple if you ask me.

Also not being able to assign a person to a group is stoops...ALSO there should be a "Groups" button that you can hit to bring to the groups filter so that you don't have to use 14 keystrokes to get to.

I too love this phone, but COME ON people.

8. jmt9779

Hopefully someone will write up an app for it. Imagine that... Writing a 3rd party app for better search within an OS designed by the google :)