• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Costco Deal for Galaxy Nexus

dougleto

Jul 22, 2011
So I have both a heads up for any people still waiting to buy a GN and a question for any Costco wireless employees. First, the heads up: per their monthly coupons, the Galaxy Nexus is supposed to go on sale starting tomorrow. The discount is only $50, but for the other Costco perks, it might be worth it.

Second, my question: the Galaxy Nexus webpage at costco (link). Is now mentioning a battery pack mail in rebate but the link to the rebate isn't working yet. Any info on this? Any chance the kit is being upgraded to something a bit nicer? Or is there just going to be an option to buy an extra battery w/ a rebate?

Costco has the awesome 90 exchange policy but Wireless Advocates suck balls.

Be sure you clearly understand that Costco, Wireless Advocates, and Costco.com are totally separate divisions. If the Gnex is $50 off at costco.com you can not get the deal at the kiosk.

We got screwed on the $50 rezound deal costco.com had on black friday. We bought a phone from the kiosk for $289. Wanted to exchange it for the $50.00 rezound and the kiosk said that they would not be able to get us our upgrade back in time to take advantage of the $50.00 deal because they didn't sell the rezound (only costco.com). We took our complaint to Wireless Advocates management and they told us to eff off.

To thank Wireless Advocates I make sure that every time we go to costco (2-3 times per week) I tell any customers at the kiosk to buy their phone from somewhere else (Amazon). Wireless Advocates are scum.

I would also like to add that when the original Moto Xoom tablet was launched I overheard the kiosk guys telling an old lady and her grandson that they could use the xoom to facetime with family. I told they lady it would not work and she passed on buying. The kiosk guy was pissed and admitted that facetime didn't work but that Skype could in the future.

All about the sale.

Upvote 0
I know that costco are wireless advocates are different, but I think wireless associates handles both the online and in-store kiosk sales. If you follow the link in my first post, you'll see "powered by Wireless Advocates" at the bottom of the page.

Maybe costco.com does occasionally sell phones themselves, I wasn't around for the rezound deal so I wouldn't know, but it looks like Wireless Advocates, online or in store is the only source for the Nexus.

I appreciate you telling me your experience though and will take that into consideration. In reading other costco-related threads here, it seems that most people have a good experience with them, but there are certainly a number of bad experiences too.

Upvote 0
you spoke with the wrong person if you went to wireless kisok.
They don't own the inventory at costco. Costco owns the inventory. You need to talk to the costco service desk to get the discount.

I've done this on a few occasions and have always had luck getting costco to honor the discount.

Upvote 0
From now until Feb 7 in store only get an additional $20 discount on addition to the February $50 discount and the free extended battery. See:
http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/03/in-store-costco-deal-for-galaxy-nexus-is-better-than-we-thought-still-includes-free-extended-battery/

Upvote 0
vico: hopefully they can get you all set with a new one and you won't have signal issues. I'm reading that the new 4.04 update addresses 3g/ 4g signal but you could have one with a hardware issue as well. Who knows but if you can get it swapped out, might as well take advantage.

The only thing I'm bummed about is that I couldn't get that extended battery that they're now offering.
oh well, I already have an extended battery, I probably don't need another one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones