new customer- question about ETF avoidanceGeneral

Last Updated:

1. MarkyD

MarkyD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Almost 2 months ago, my wife and I got a Droid and an Eris. She HATES her Eris (slowness, low resolution, you know the typical complaints...)

Anyway, here's what I'd LIKE to do.

1. Switch her number off the Eris to a dumbphone we have laying around.
    2. Buy an Incredible at Best Buy
    3. Sell Eris on eBay
    4. Cancel dumbphone line, using money made from Eris to pay ETF...

OR - could I switch her number to the dumbphone, and then just not cancel it and pay the additional $10/month for the extra line? Am I missing something, or is it this easy?

Advertisement
  2. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

but after you get the incredible, activate on her line so she retains the same phone number

3. atakin77

atakin77 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to probably just pay retail for the phone - $529.99 at VZW. Sell the Eris on ebay. You will probably get $200 - $250 for the Eris on ebay, which would bring your net cost down to about $300. This would probably be in the same neighborhood as the pro-rated ETF (maybe even a bit less), and you avoid the hassle of having to activate a new line. I've started buying phones, including the Incredible, on 1-year contracts with VZW. You pay a little more for the phone, but only $30 - $70, and you have a lot more flexibility with the equipment should you decide to get another phone.