• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Desire, 1st update, HTC sense prob

bigyeti

Lurker
Jun 7, 2010
Received my HTC Desire today, 1st Android phone. Spent this evening putting on some applications. Phone was working fine.

Later on it told me it needed an update, so I let it. It done its thing then restarted after a bit, as soon as it reached the home page it displayed this message:

The Application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

Force start, it then goes round in circles. Re-started, it still does it. If I search that error message online I can see I'm not the only person to have it. However, there seems to be lots of different causes, but generally it occurs after an application is installed and therefore it is usually that application causing the problem.

In my case, it looks like the update caused it. The software info is as follows:

Firmware: 2.1-update1
Software: 1.21.405.2

I have an SD card in the phone, and I'm sure it mentioned it was backing up before the update, if I do a reset will all my apps and data be saved?

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm quite disappointed as I've been waiting for this phone for a while and it has arrived and gone wrong. All your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

This happened to me the other day, but before the OTA update. I can't even remember which app I had installed that caused the problem. I also had my data set to be backed up to the SD card automatically so I did a hard reset. Luckily all my data was untouched but I had to reinstall all my apps. Sorry if I couldn't be more helpful.

Upvote 0
Just to let you know, I did a factory reset in the end and it worked again (phew!). When restarting the phone, it said there was a backup available on the SD Card so I chose to restore it. I don't know what was backed up though, it was just like starting the phone for the first time, had to re-enter settings and all the applications I downloaded were gone (as expected).

It's all set up again and working fine now, perfick!. I haven't been asked to do an update again so great, I'm a bit worried about accepting next time an update comes around. Should I be?

Also, I noticed on other threads where people have experienced the same error message, the question "Have you got an App. killer installed?" arises. Yes, I have a got an app. killer (Advanced app. killer). I was careful with what I 'killed', I don't believe I 'killed' any core applications, but then again, I don't know which ones are core applications (bloody amateurs!). I'm sure I only 'killed' ones I know I started myself (gmail, goggles, skymap etc).

It's a good phone though, I loves it I do. And I like this website, will speak to you soon and look forward to any suggestions that you feel it would be helpful to pass on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones